A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

To eliminate power steering...

29K views 102 replies 33 participants last post by  Tritton 
#1 ·
Remove the pump and run a 57.5" belt. I'll insert a pic of the package from the one I bought so there is no confusion:

#10 ·
Muscle-up, buddy

What was the HP gain that you got from eliminating the Power Steering?
Never dyno'd, took it out when I was gonna do a VQ setup, then cancelled the swap. My PS pump bearings went bad anyway so I left it out.

#5 ·
People are talking about the power advantages of getting rid of the pulley based power steering system and other are saying that they wouldn't be able to park where they live comfortably without it. So i figured if you got a electric power steering pump you could enjoy the extra power and still have the comfort. I know you would probably nee a HP alternator, but you would get all of the advantages of not having the pulley on the engine yet still keep your comfort, if you don't mind spending the extra money on the HP alternator.

#8 ·
If you use a MR2's electro-hydrolic power streering pump it would be just like our power steering now but instead of running off of the engines pulley it's running off of your battery or alternator. I've seen a few posts of different cars that have tried it. I think it would be something worth looking into if you have a high output alternator.

#12 ·
I thought there aren't any gains on a dyno from this right? I thought if you don't turn the pump doesn't load up? I donno.

Some people say you feel more steering feedback with no PS. I donno. I won't try this until I put the SBC in.
:D
I would think running a smaller belt and bypassing the ps should have some gains. I do know the a/c delete doesn't give any gains, though.

I really enjoyed my old civic hatch with no ps exactly for the reason you mentioned, better steering feel. Not sure how I'd like it on the Spec, seeing as how it weighs a good 600lbs more.

#21 ·
#23 ·
#26 ·
in honda stories i think the number is between 2whp - 5whp ... I was going to buy a H22a swapped Integra (dc2) and i remember the guy telling me he kepts the ps out for the extra *w/E* hp gain ,, every little bit counts... idk.. it aint that serious IMO

#28 · (Edited)
Once the car is moving 5mph u don't notice. And yes to whoever mentioned it, u do get a better "feel" of the car with no ps IMO. Another thing that plays into the difficulty of turning while stopped is the tread pattern on your tires. I had the multi-directional economy tires with no power steering and it made a decent difference when turning the wheel. I mean, I could do it one handed if that clarifies it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.