A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone I purchased a 192k millage 03 spec v with bad valve seals for $600 I love the look of Sentras and am wanting to better myself in driving a standard, seems like a worthy car to invest in and given the chance I'd sleeve the pistons and go ahead with $1500 motor rebuild kit from treadstone, along with machining the heads. If someone can quote me on what there sleeves cost them, I'm more after bulletproofing the motor so if one day it sees a turbo. Realistically plan b is I just wanna get the head machined and change the timing chain and probably new valve springs due to the high millage. I dont have a location I can pull the motor at yet due to being at a apartment I want it out to detail every corner of the car but if I had to leave it in and go with plan b I would. I really desire to learn this rebuild as iv worked on and changed most everything around a motor and suspension work. I'm coming from a 3.6 05 sts iv done alot of work to but its relatively basic in comparison to how In detail this fourms talks. I'm really open to suggestions on how I should attack this I'm ready to get it road worthy and hopefully by the end of April I can have about 2k to spend on this sweet project. I have a decent amount of tools and local to Louisiana. Also if I'm dropping this much into a motor how strong are these transmission, I'm no stranger to fluid flushes and filter swaps, I owned a 03 protege prior that I sold to my friend a bought this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
Sleeves run about....I'd have to look again but I think sleeves and install is around $1500-$2000 but don't quote me. Download the FSM and just pull the head, I pulled the head on mine for the first time on the side of the road in front of the house I was living at...just take your time and since you are have to remove the header get an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply will this include doing a timing chain kit if so what's the fan favorite of the fourm today. Cloyes is a known brand to me, better yet can you suggest a parts list for this job, only things I can see are the gasket down to the head. Timing kit and springs if i wanna change them with there retainers probably. I promise i have been reading on here for probably 2 weeks and only thing I keep asking myself is this the newest up to date part or does that even matter because alot of detailed post are from 2012ish it seems. You can even recommend the header I should get on the list of parts I'll need. I'll make a video of how it runs it has some weird random knock all we can assume is a bad mount because we cant feel it on top the head or under by the oil pan it also doesnt worsen or become more rapid at higher revs.

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
Unless the chain is stretched or showing signs of fatigue I wouldn't replace the timing chain and connected gears, there is a lot more involved which includes the balance shaft. Springs, unless you want to upgrade now and they are not below spring tolerance I'd leave them in.

AJUSA head gasket will suffice but if you want to get the 2nd gen head gasket or spring for a cometic and either new head bolts or spring for ARP head studs. With the head off will be a good time to check your cam clearances with that high of a mileage. Unless you can find someone selling a good header here than any... a header from 2J other then ebay would be better unless the ebay headers are getting better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All day iv been wrapping my mind around how you could recommend the 2j header on a $600 car, I was looking at the race ones for $700 which require there motor mounts and fan revison x), I just noticed the street version for $370 and am more than willing to go with it. I'm putting a pin in pulling the heads, I dropped a quart of Lucas stop leak, and have watched as the car in the past 2 days is almost completely stopped smoking and what I do see burning is possible oil left in the exhaust, i had drained the car and put just 4qs of cas ultra clear 5w30 so it has somthing 2 sit up with. This will atleast buy time for more money towards a good rebuild, its gonna take some good convincing to get my friend back on board after seeing this additive results. I'd use the cometic head gasket if I do end up pulling them and can I reuse most the old gaskets or should I source a kit for all fresh ones, again if so what's a good route for that. Sorry for my ignorance and thank you so much for the replys. I know patience grown thin when someone has to spoon feed someone information.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can someone explain to me the intake cam sprocket removal in the fsm, it mentions using a air tool on some passage way till you head a click then place a pin in the sprocket then removing the bolt holding the sprocket. I haven't seen a video where anyone has followed this step the normally they just secure the cam with a wrench on the hexagon spot and break the bolts loose. No Allen key inserted or air sprayed into a passage.

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
The air is for releasing the pin that get actuated by oil, skip that step and just use a 17mm socket on the bolt and hold the cam shaft with a wrench.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you plan on sleeving your block as you state earlier, you will want solid motor mounts either way. And if you plan on spending $2000 (which is about what it cost me, not including all the extras like balancing etc..) on a sleeved short block for a $600 car then there is no reason to cheap out on a header. But the options are limited for our cars so that tends to drive prices up.

The reason the 2j race header requires fan relocation is simply because the header is massive but it really is geared to straight race track setup. If you do mostly street driving than this would not be ideal for you.

If you daily and it’s a lot of street driving then the street header would be your best bet. I’ve had many different headers on my car (eBay 4-2-1, Nismo, Medusa, DC 4-2-1) and I personally like the Medusa (but the Nismo is not that far behind).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a small update I'll be further delayed so when I purchased the car the owner said change the motor it had spun a bearing. Well after the stop leak it sound pretty good, idle fine still burnt alil but it was drivable without a cel light. A friend and I attempted to sneak it to Walmart to do a seafoam run back and got it impounded xD, I got it back the next morning, it was street legal so my dad and friend recommended practicing stick and I was getting pretty decent well I took a 15mile trip to my home town and check the oil she was dry, so add till she was back full and on the way home, couldn't gain any rpms so I down shifted and was crossing my finger she held till I got home. About half way she grenades and covered interstate with a nice oil slick . Lucky my friend used there triple a to get my the rest of the way home. So now if went from a head job to a motor pull. But honest It probably was best be cause if i did all the work to have it machined and it dumps on me 3 days after I'd of been really discouraged on continuing the project. Has anyone pulled the motor and left the transmission, most say to drop the motor/transmission and lift the fram or have a load level and angle the whole thing out. I'm looking at the $600 65k mile motors and recommendation would be appreciated. Excuse the grammar and spelling I'm on my 15 typing this fast as could be.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you’re pulling the motor, I would pull the trans and replace the clutch (and prob the flywheel as well). Who knows what condition that is in at 194k miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My grandfather agreed to let me pull it at his place next month some time, and also agreed about pulling both to replace clutch

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
If your getting a motor from a jam dealer be careful they try and sell the qr20 restamped as a qr25. Just so you are aware

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That makes me real nervous, is it just a gamble or any reputable sellers on Ebay I was looking a jdm New York. Thanks for the replys I know I say it alot. But on the Cadillac fourm most reply where never responded to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i should be going in 2 weeks to purchase a qr25de already pulled from a 06 Altima from Mississippi for $600 this should match up fine if my research is correct, 2j wouldnt reply but i offered $3300 for there remanufactured plus the clutch and header installed but no reply after there first email asking for more details. its going to cost me $1500 for the install my grandfather back out on letting me do it at his house. i still plan on buying 2js clutch and exhaust manifold. any recommendation on to ensure that the qr25de is from a 06 Altima or a better cheaper way i can make this happen. also the qr25de from 02-06 should match up from altima to spec v correct?
03 Spec V interior detailing https://imgur.com/gallery/2Irma2B

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Motor is out, low mile jdm from Cali is OTW shipped for $1250 alittle more than I was hoping to pay but will include alt, ac, power steering, intake manifold and flywheel. I want to order 2js header but funds are depleting fast. Id rather hold off and use xs header unless advised otherwise and get a good clutch 2js 275 whp clutch looks perfect and also in need of a set of motor mounts. Do people use the mmi on worn motor mount or do they replace all mounts then attach? Im considering tracing my mounts melting the rubber out and repouring them myself if my only option is to put inserts on already torn mounts or replace them just to put pollyurthaneon each side. A good parts list at this point from anyone would be much appreciated, example: header clutch 2js cai is only $130 atm and for the gains looks awesome. I need to futher look in to the washer mod. And better understand if i should thermostat delete or just replace it with a better one, preventive maintenance ill be reading as much as possible to ensure i get everything.i cleaned the motor bay alotttttt
03 Spec V motor replacement https://imgur.com/gallery/ZKAHeiy

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should be pulling the trigger on 2js 275whp clutch for $275
2js CAI for $130
XS header/downpipe for $200
& mounts.... idk yet due to the confusion im having. Id love a 2j medusa header but i doubt he would make a bundle offer.
Feedback would be very welcome as crickets are my only audience atm

·
Registered
435 Posts
Should be pulling the trigger on 2js 275whp clutch for $275
2js CAI for $130
XS header/downpipe for $200
& mounts.... idk yet due to the confusion im having. Id love a 2j medusa header but i doubt he would make a bundle offer.
Feedback would be very welcome as crickets are my only audience atm
Spend the extra money and get a quality medusa header. Sounds better, and a tad more power. Looks 10x better.

yes, he is open to bundle offers.

a fast nickle is better than a slow dime in my book anyday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Turbo Tony ill be waiting till monday to hear back from them. What about my motor mounts, should i pay $140 and get new stocks ones or just put mmi on my old. I wanna try pouring my own making them yellow pollyurthane ones since i cant seem to find anyone selling all 4 with pollyurthane only the front and rear by prothane and inserts by es.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts