A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 automatic 1.8

I've started to notice my transmission making a squeaking sound when under load. While in park or neutral, it purrs like a kitten. Once I put it in drive while holding the break, it chirps a little bit.
I also get the same issue right before it has to downshift into a lower gear. It's almost as if things are bogging down.
Transmission used to have the common chirp when shifting 2nd to 3rd gear but resolved once I put that nissan treatment fluid in from the TSB.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Auto's aren't much of a topic here except for a few...

What comes to mind is fluid or torque convertor right now, is the noise from the tranny or axles, is it rpm dependent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto's aren't much of a topic here except for a few...

What comes to mind is fluid or torque convertor right now, is the noise from the tranny or axles, is it rpm dependent.
I would say the RPM is a factor. I only hear it when accelerating from idle or close to idle. Same for if I'm going up a hill and the rpm decreases, it makes the noise unless I give it more gas then downshifts. I don't get the noise at higher RPMs

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Clutches in the toque converter may be going out... or specific clutches to those gears.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd be careful with that, in some cases if the trans fluid has never been changed, the damage that's already been done may be too great and in some cases that older thickened up fluid with metal shaving in it is the only thing holding it together, changing the fluid may fix the problem, it could kill the tranny at this point too. I've heard of it going both ways.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
I'd be careful with that, in some cases if the trans fluid has never been changed, the damage that's already been done may be too great and in some cases that older thickened up fluid with metal shaving in it is the only thing holding it together, changing the fluid may fix the problem, it could kill the tranny at this point too. I've heard of it going both ways.

while not so much anymore, this used to be true years ago, with the american made transmissions, particularly the fords and chevys. have experienced it myself on a 69 mustang with the FMX transmission (iron case rather than aluminum) changed the oil, filter, and 3 days later the trans was toast. This was a problem up into the 80's and 90's in fords, dont know about todays fords, I stopped working in dealerships in 95 and developed other career skills instead.

newer vehicles this is not the case. and particularly imports.

in fact, one of the best transmission techs I have ever known, flat out said, "If people would change their trans fluid at least annually, I'd be out of a job"

·
Registered
25 Posts
while not so much anymore, this used to be true years ago, with the american made transmissions, particularly the fords and chevys. have experienced it myself on a 69 mustang with the FMX transmission (iron case rather than aluminum) changed the oil, filter, and 3 days later the trans was toast. This was a problem up into the 80's and 90's in fords, dont know about todays fords, I stopped working in dealerships in 95 and developed other career skills instead.

newer vehicles this is not the case. and particularly imports.

in fact, one of the best transmission techs I have ever known, flat out said, "If people would change their trans fluid at least annually, I'd be out of a job"
Good to know!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Changed the tyranny fluid...well about half of it. I just drained the reservoir and added what came out (a little over 4 qts.) I cam already hear a small difference when sitting at idle in gear. Before the fluid change, if I was in drive with the ac or other accessories on, I would hear the squeaking. Now I only hear it when I'm accelerating from a stop or right before the transmission downshifts into a lower gear.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Changed the tyranny fluid...well about half of it. I just drained the reservoir and added what came out (a little over 4 qts.) I cam already hear a small difference when sitting at idle in gear. Before the fluid change, if I was in drive with the ac or other accessories on, I would hear the squeaking. Now I only hear it when I'm accelerating from a stop or right before the transmission downshifts into a lower gear.

you still had a torque converter that was full of old fluid, its probably not as bad now, but might want to think about scheduling another change in a year

·
Registered
40 Posts
Agreed, since, the drain doesn't take out all the fluid, you might want to do it once again in the near future, and re add the Nissan treatment fluid perhaps?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts