A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2003 Nissan Spec-V for a daily driver. I wasn't quiet used to the gears yet (still not) and went from 2 to 1 instead of 2 to 3. I immediately pushed in the clutch. However, i started to notice a transmission whine (what i think it is anyway) afterwards. It only "whines" when i am on the gas, when i let off the gas it stops. (The whine sounds similar to a rear end gear whine). It doesn't do it while the vehicle is stoped (with clutch engaged or disengaged). It make a louder whine when decelerrating even when not in gear. I have seen a few more threads similar to mine but never found out what the issue was. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
That happened to me once. I drove it easy for awhile and it actually went away after a few days.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
every gear?

definitely not the throw out bearing from what you have described. check for oil or a cracked case. transmission gears a helically cut gears making them want to push away from each other. when you mis-shift that hardcore they really start to push away from each other. im thinking a bearing inside the transmission said "eff this ish, im out". im thinking rear case bearing as if it were the input shaft bearing then you would hear it when you foot was off the clutch at a stop

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
every gear?

definitely not the throw out bearing from what you have described. check for oil or a cracked case. transmission gears a helically cut gears making them want to push away from each other. when you mis-shift that hardcore they really start to push away from each other. im thinking a bearing inside the transmission said "eff this ish, im out". im thinking rear case bearing as if it were the input shaft bearing then you would hear it when you foot was off the clutch at a stop
It does it all gears. Slightly in 1 and 2 then 3-6 is when it is most noticeable. It doesn't do it under a heavier load. Only under lighter loads like cruising speeds. It doesn't do it when decelerating now. I'm going to drain the fluid this week and check it out. Well see how it looks. I thought it was something related to the output shaft

1 - 8 of 8 Posts