A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what exactly it is that makes the treadstone turbo kit non California compliant? Is it possible I could get the kit and substitute parts in to make it California compliant??

·
Registered
119 Posts
To get a part to pass, you have to show it does not change the emissions enough to effect smog ratings. CARB testing costs a fortune and most aftermarket companies don't bother trying to get it done. It is not a matter of adding or changing one part. The kit itself has to be validated by the state. I have looked into the process for my parts, and it is just not worth it. For that reason, on most performance parts websites you see that stuff is either not for sale to people in Cali, or you sign a waiver at checkout that the parts are for off-road racing use only and you won't use them on public roads.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Agreed. California is tough to pass. Must have a visible working cat of some kind and no check engine lights. Not sure if CA tailpipes cars anymore, but that the biggest hurdle. It can be done tho.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Supercharge it, throw on a gutted nismo header w cat, and throw a high flow cat down the line.

·
6,829 Posts
Supercharge it, throw on a gutted nismo header w cat, and throw a high flow cat down the line.
That will still not work. Cali requires to pass a visual and obd2 port testing for 2000 and newer cars. So as soon as they pop that hood and if it doesn't have the CARB sticker or stock, it automatically fails.

I will echo the same thing @FRe said. Any part that wants that carb EO exemption requires to go through vigorous testing by CARB. Hence why a lot of the big legit companies charge an arm for an intake. My K&N typhoon when it came out was close to $300 bucks but it had a sticker.

Also there will never be a CARB legal turbo kit for this car unless they go through the testing which will make the kit cost more than 5-6K. That price are what I've seen for CARB legal kits around here for different cars.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Nismo R-Tune Header is CARB compliant.

·
6,829 Posts
Nismo R-Tune Header is CARB compliant.

CARB compliant means the that the cat on that thing will have an EO number stamped on it which it does not. Which also why it said that R-Tunes are for off road use only. Just because it has a cat doesn't mean it's Cali legal.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Interesting.

There is an etched in number on all Nismo headers, I had this header back in the day and sold it to a gal in So Cal that used that number to pass Carb, even though the cat was gutted. She still ran a high flow cat and didnt have any codes.

·
6,829 Posts
Interesting.

There is an etched in number on all Nismo headers, I had this header back in the day and sold it to a gal in So Cal that used that number to pass Carb, even though the cat was gutted. She still ran a high flow cat and didnt have any codes.
In Cali even SR20DET swapped S13's can pass if you know somebody who's willing to go to jail for a few hundred.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Yeah they have strict ass laws. Its still possible to pass when boosted. It just takes a good setup, lots of time and fabrication, no cel, and a good cat setup. If it will pass a tailpipe test, will it pass emissions in CA no matter the setup?

·
6,829 Posts
Yeah they have strict ass laws. Its still possible to pass when boosted. It just takes a good setup, lots of time and fabrication, no cel, and a good cat setup. If it will pass a tailpipe test, will it pass emissions in CA no matter the setup?
Read my reply again. If the car didn’t come with it, it better have the carb exempt number or else it will fail visual inspection. They don’t do tailpipe in 2000 and newer cars anymore. Just the older ones, but even then they have to have stock equipment or carb’d equipment. No ifs and or buts in that regard.

·
6,829 Posts
How would they know if the header was aftermarket? Throw that cover back over it. Lol open dump exhaust.
You don't know how pressured these smog techs are. CARB sends out secret shoppers that have small and often missed modifications and they fine the smog tech. They usually get like a few hundred fine and if they hold their license. They then need to go to a refresher class which has costs in itself to continue operating. If you keep passing cars that are not supposed to, they can go to a federal prison. So yea they're very thorough. I almost went into that certification but I decided not to and that's when the whole economy collapsed and I changed careers.

Also if you look under your hood, there will be a sticker that says what emissions equipment the car has. I think on the spec it says 2 TWC (three way catalyst), which means they'll be looking for 2 and they know it's usually a pre-cat and the main cat. So yea they know.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Ugh, youre not reading... GUT that beeeoootch. plus it has a nice Nismo plate welded on.

·
6,829 Posts
Ugh, youre not reading... GUT that beeeoootch. plus it has a nice Nismo plate welded on.
Lol I know what you are saying but imo it is always better to err on the legal side of things so the smog tech don’t have any reason to say anything because everything is stock. That’s all I’m saying.

Those catted headers are rarer than the non catted one too so chances of seeing one is rare.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cali really sucks balls I’m glad I don’t live there or I would drive around with no inspection for years
I think I read somewhere that Los Ángeles is a city right in the center around a bunch of mountain ranges. So a lot of the smog and pollution stays trapped around the city. THAT is why it’s so strict in Cali to my knowledge. I could be wrong but that’s what I’ve heard.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts