A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a trunk lip for our cars. Ive been studying mobile electronics and made a couple of fiberglass boxes so fiberglass work is becoming second nature little by little.
Anyways ive been contemplating on how i should make it, if i should make it sit on top of the trunk or should i make it hang over and make it take the shape of the trunk(removing nissand badge).

I have always liked how the rsx-s deck lid looks and i think it would look good on our cars. if i make a rsx style one i think i can make it cover oem holes from removing spoiler. Heres an example. If anyone can photoshop to see what it would look like would help a lot.

Sharkey im gonna need advice with this one

thats one a rsx member made

i want to give it a try since i have the supplies im not a auto body guy so i cant say i know 100% what im doing so help and advice will be needed. my overall idea. make a mold of the trunk where i will mount the lip. get my friends rsx decklid and pretty much copy the designs and fit it on to the mold i made for the trunk

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
bad ass...

ok, so what your wanting to know is "how?"

the way i would do it:

-get your idea together (which it seems like you do)
-next is your mold, what i use is a "pink foam board" from home depot or lowes, it only comes in a 4-5x10 sheet about 2 inches thick
-cut the style you want done, just remember to cut a little more for fin tuning.

once you get the style, curvature, height, etc....

-use spray glue, to glue on aluminum foil
- just use one layer of "mat" not the "cloth" and glass the top half, back half, and then leave the underside to some what of a "lip".... the purpose for one layer is so you can break the mold off.
-one broken, you can add more layers, and from there its all sanding and filling, and sanding and filling...

i hope this helps, any other questions, just let me know

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
///---\Bumper plug build with (P I C S!)///---\ - Club RSX Message Board

this is the same material your talking about?

i have this aluminum foil tape i purchased a while back that has made things easy for creating molds

so pretty much make a mold of the mounting surface on trunk

make shape with foam. glass the surface then join them together and proceed with sanding bondo repeat etc?

seems simple just very time consuming and tedious.

luckily i have a old gxe trunk laying around my back yard. from what i know all b15 trunks are same size as in will bolt right up right? just difference in license pate surround. I hope so that way i can be very patient and take as much time as i need

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
No, just regular aluminum foil,the tape will work though

Fleece, I imagine it will work, but fleece works better if its stretched over a surface.
I would just use plain fiberglass mat..

What you could also do ad I'm working in this idea for a rear lip, but glass the part of the trunk to make a mold from. Pretty much like they do for the sub enclosure, that would insure fitment.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its on hold for a little bit. Made a right amd didn't see the sign no turn on red. 500 dollar ticket in cali :(

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
ahaha that one is od

the stillen sentra had a nice suddle one

·
Registered
26,965 Posts
lol, a member on here has that same wing. that thing is solid bondo and clocked in at around 35lbs lol

·
39,082 Posts

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hahah its going to be suddle. I have everything planned out only thing im worried about is making it even on both sides so the shape is even throughout. Definitely going to be vert tedious work and a pita but i want to do it right the first time. I have 3/4 of the materials ready just saving a little bit more. If i dont receive this ticket in the mail(camera didnt flash) i will be putting another 500 down to buy a good compressor to speed the process and paint it myself also learning how to paint.

Anyone know how long it takes to receive the ticket in the mail? or if there is a way to check?

·
39,082 Posts
Depends on the state. When looking online, I need the ticket number.

They are usually quick about sending your your ticket in the mail.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Lol 10 years later. All I now is the OP got banned

1 - 20 of 22 Posts