A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not one to spend 4000 or so on a turbo kit on any vehicle. Everyone on the threads says part one together or buy your own parts and make your own kit! So my question is what do I need to look for? What can I get a turbo from? Will any regular size turbo work or are there specifics? Or does anyone have a specific set up they used and what parts does it entail any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you have welding equipment? Do you know how to weld? Do you know the ins and outs of a turbocharger and how to properly plumb it? These are all the things you need to ask yourself. I had a customer two weeks ago who tried doing his own turbo kit on his car (I sell a kit on my website for ~$4000), to save some money. He did not know how to weld (so EVERYTHING was clamped together), did not know how to properly route piping (He had his diverter valve on backwards), and had no understanding of how the turbo system worked (this list would take a week to type). He drove 10 miles on his turbo set up before he blew a rod out the front of his block. Do it right the first time. It is okay to admit that you don't have the ability to make something from scratch. Not everyone can. Which is why the kits exist. The bolt on kits for these cars are VERY easy to install. Hardest part is tapping the oil pan, but there are about 129735974 how-to's for that on here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have welding equipment? Do you know how to weld? Do you know the ins and outs of a turbocharger and how to properly plumb it? These are all the things you need to ask yourself. I had a customer two weeks ago who tried doing his own turbo kit on his car (I sell a kit on my website for ~$4000), to save some money. He did not know how to weld (so EVERYTHING was clamped together), did not know how to properly route piping (He had his diverter valve on backwards), and had no understanding of how the turbo system worked (this list would take a week to type). He drove 10 miles on his turbo set up before he blew a rod out the front of his block. Do it right the first time. It is okay to admit that you don't have the ability to make something from scratch. Not everyone can. Which is why the kits exist. The bolt on kits for these cars are VERY easy to install. Hardest part is tapping the oil pan, but there are about 129735974 how-to's for that on here.
Appreciate the reply man. I do have a decent amount of general automotive knowledge but not that much haha! Mainly diesels! But I’ve thought about it like you stated and am probably going to end up going for a kit and hopefully find a used one and just rebuild the turbo!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
You can piece together a kit no problem as parris said make sure u do it right..mtrapuzz has a manifold and downpipe for sale snd he’ll do right by you on it..tread stone still offers there IC piping I believe...if not then I’d start with a 2j CAI and then u can get the other pipes with ease...get yourself a nice 38mm wastegate 2 bolt to go with his manifold..nice bov and you almost done..I think parris has a few inter coolers for sale too..if it’s not him then sone1 else on here does..or just get a tread stone tr8 intercooler since it’s what came with their kit and that means their piping fits right up to it

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your website? The only company I know that sells kits is treadstone performance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your website? The only company I know that sells kits is treadstone performance.
I don't make parts for the b15, the kit was for a juke. I have made several custom one off turbo kits for the b15 before, but i need the car here to do that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a full turbo kit setup im thinking about going back to stock motor only shoot me offers. I dont know much about it but it was all on the car when i got it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts