A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up an NX direct port nitrous kit to install on my 2005 Spec V. I recently purchased a PNP Intake manifold, so I am able to take my time and make sure I get this right!

The first thing I did, and what everyone should do when buying a used kit is take everything apart to inspect for debris and wear.

First up was the nozzles and distribution blocks. I removed all the jets from the nozzles. I called NX to ask them what the best way to clean nozzles, jets and distribution blocks. They suggested soap and water. So i soaked them in dawn dishsoap and water...you wouldn't believe all the dirt that comes off! I also checked all the jets to make sure they are the correct sizes. This is a pretty cool site to see what size jets to use for the HP you are looking for: Nitrous Oxide fuel Jet size and HP Calculator nos n2o. I am going for 100hp, so my fuel jets are .014 and my nitrous jets are .026.

Next is to take apart the solenoids to clean them and inspect them for wear. Here is a great write up: Nitrous Solenoid Maintenance - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
You will need to buy a special wrench in order to do this. I just ordered one from NX for $7.

Here are a few pictures

I'll try to keep this thread up to date with my progress. I figure by next summer, I should have everything I need to start spraying safely.

-Gary

·
39,045 Posts
Nice pick up.

You will be the few sprayed specs out there.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Quicky question for NX kits. Do you only have one SS cable for the fuel?

Solenoid<SS cable< adapter that T taps the fuel line in engine bay right?
Anyone know what the adapter is called?

·
Registered
265 Posts
rpm window switches with a wot trigger is a great investment too... it will keep you from blowing your shit up if you ever drop to a low rpm while spraying... I love mine. It came with my kit from nos

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was going to post this in the other thread, but I saw this one pop up. lol

I had this: Holley Performance Products Mini 2-Stage Progressive Nitrous Controller*15974NOS Very nice piece of equipment. I approve of it!
I had almost ordered that (actually I did, but canceled after talking with a Holley Rep)

Since you used it greg, I'm sure there's a way around it, but I was informed that the 2-stage NOS mini is solely for setups with 2-stages (pairs) of solenoids for firing. You can see what I mean if you check out the instructions (specifically the wiring diagram) http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/15974NOS.pdf. Probably can still use it, but there's more simple controllers for what we're trying to achieve.

OP, I went ahead and got this from Dynotune and love it: DynoTune Product, 711.2-One Stage RPM Window Switch / TPS Upgradeable. Its a window switch AND wot switched combined in one, so you can still ditch that janky wot pedal switch the kits come with. And its also upgradeable to progressive for $50.

Or, if you know you definitely want progressive, you can just order the progressive one here: Time Based Progressive nitrous controller for nitrous oxide systems.. A progressive controlled window AND wot switch for $179 isn't bad in my book. And so far it hasn't let me down.

Also, both of these dynotune products can lockout 1st and all the way up to 4th gear.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the good info. I have the IM at the machine shop at work to be drilled and tapped. I'm probably going to be purchasing new lines to plumb the nozzles just to clean it up a bit. BTW...the techs at NX are very helpful.

-G

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im just glad to see someone actually spending the extra few bucks to use this thing that was sitting in my closet for over a year.
Thanks again. I ordered the wrench to take the solenoids apart. They were in excellent condition.

-G

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Making some progress...slow...but still progress.

I sent my PNP IM to FIR to have the VQ flange mounted. Once it gets back, I'm going to start to plumb new lines for the DP set up. I already bought the lines and tools to bend and flare the lines. I just ordered a cool little switch panel that fits in a gauge pod made by DynoTune : Nitrous oxide control center to turn on and off nitrous siwtches and systems. Billet aluminum housing will control your nitrous oxide systems in corvette. - Nitrous control center
and an AFR lean shut down switch from them: Nitrous oxide air/fuel ratio lean shut-down switch for use with nitrous oxide systems. Will shut nitrous down if a lean condition occurs while using nitrous oxide. - Nitrous air/fuel ratio lean shut-down switch
I also bought a remote bottle opener...nice craigslist find!

Still need to purchase a progressive nitrous controller. I was looking for one that DynoTune offered, but they no longer have stocl of it. apparently the company that makes it was bought out by NOS. I found the same product offered by Nitrous Outlet, so I'll probably pick that up next week: Nitrous Outlet Online Catalog NItrous Outlet Digital Progressive Controller

Then I'll just need a purge kit, bottle warmer, and a remote bottle pressure gauge and I'll be all set. I should be up and running summer time.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not too much to report... Still waiting to get my IM back from Travis....we're at the 8 week mark now for what was supposed to be a 2 week job :rolleyes:. In the mean time, I picked up a purge kit and Dynotune called me to let me know that they found a few progressive controllers left on the shelf, so I picked one of them up. Can't wait to start plumbing some lines and get this party started!!!!

Still need a bottle warmer and pressure gauge...

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
lol oh man do i feel your pain
ive been waiting since march 13th and still dont have everything :facepalm:

Trav4011 said:
I tell you what.. Just send the manifolds, and I'll have them welded up, and back out to you within 2-3 days. Fair enough?
~back in march.. lol

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol oh man do i feel your pain
ive been waiting since march 13th and still dont have everything :facepalm:

~back in march.. lol
It sucks, because we all know he does great work, but he just has waaay too much on his plate. I know in the end I will be hapy, but I just wish I knew when the end would be!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Honestly, drilling and tapping is not a very hard task. If you're doing most of the other work for installing this kit than you can definitely take care of that portion. Personally I would get it back, buy a tap, and save yourself some dough.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had almost ordered that (actually I did, but canceled after talking with a Holley Rep)

Since you used it greg, I'm sure there's a way around it, but I was informed that the 2-stage NOS mini is solely for setups with 2-stages (pairs) of solenoids for firing. You can see what I mean if you check out the instructions (specifically the wiring diagram) http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/15974NOS.pdf. Probably can still use it, but there's more simple controllers for what we're trying to achieve.

OP, I went ahead and got this from Dynotune and love it: DynoTune Product, 711.2-One Stage RPM Window Switch / TPS Upgradeable. Its a window switch AND wot switched combined in one, so you can still ditch that janky wot pedal switch the kits come with. And its also upgradeable to progressive for $50.

Or, if you know you definitely want progressive, you can just order the progressive one here: Time Based Progressive nitrous controller for nitrous oxide systems.. A progressive controlled window AND wot switch for $179 isn't bad in my book. And so far it hasn't let me down.

Also, both of these dynotune products can lockout 1st and all the way up to 4th gear.
Holy shit, I never saw this. My bad. lol

I never had it on the 07. Dave used it on his though. Worked for him as a single stage and progressive.

Since I got it at baller price, I figured I'd endorse it :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly, drilling and tapping is not a very hard task. If you're doing most of the other work for installing this kit than you can definitely take care of that portion. Personally I would get it back, buy a tap, and save yourself some dough.
Its at Travis for the VQ throttle body, not to be tapped. I'm waiting to get it back from him so I can tap it.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
this is the part that really stopped me
the lower intake on the vq is, imo, tiny to tap
lol
the qr looks way easier to tap for direct injection

your coming along though
just two parts left

the nos mini can be used on a single stage set up up
from the nos instructions
"The NOS 2 stage PROGRESSIVE CONTROLLER is actually 2 fully independent nitrous controllers, each with its own integrated throttle-position activation switch (TPAS) and an RPM-activated window switch (RPMWS)."
those who wish to use it just call nos and ask how
my proefi nitrous controller allows up to 4 stages, each with it's own progressive controller
you just don't have to use them

the nos 700 dollar job [you get a hand held programmer with it] i just watched at the strip last night
amazing, even has part throttle use
but outrageous price

i love that little dynotune panel that fits in a gauge pod
such a cool place for it, good choice

waiting on travis is the new hobby lol
his stuff is great though

1 - 20 of 75 Posts