A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the freeway today and noticed my battery light came on along with my handbrake light. I looked at the voltage on my tablet via the Torque app and it was reading 12.0v. When I got off and pulled into a lot it was at 11.8v. I checked the connections and everything seemed good, no corrosion build up and connections seemed tight, though I can reseat them if that is the issue.

When I left and got on the road, it went back up to 13.6v and the lights went off. Now it seems to just fluctuate between 13.6v and 12.0v and sometimes dipping to 11.8v. It seems to happen mostly when accelerating and then when I let off it jumps back to 13.6v. I had the battery and alternator tested at O'reilly and everything checked out. I read on another forum that their battery ended up being the issue even though it was new and that something internal was messed up causing it to heat up and not charge under acceleration. Not sure if that is the case for me but I don't want to throw a new battery at it and have it not be fixed. My battery is only under 2 years old too. The alternator hasn't been changed at least by me. I don't know if previous owners have changed it.

Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Alternator for sure IMHO and it might be taking the battery with it as well, it doesn't take much to get the alt tested.

Reactions: un33dit

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the only way to know to throw in a new alternator?
Are aftermarkets okay or is it better to go oem for an alternator?

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
They can test the alternator at a parts store, but if its erratic it may not test bad.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the alternator and battery tested at an O'reilly and they were good according to them

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
check voltage to the battery in the morning or later in the night, I have dealt with different alt/battery failures combinations and it was always something different.

If the alt is testing inconstantly it may not show on a bench load and when your vehicle voltage drops to around 12 volts that tells me the battery is running the car. It's one of those things that there is no direct answer unfortunately.

Reactions: Sus Spec

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn. I'll see how it is tomorrow. If it is still wonky then I'll have to throw in a new alternator and/or battery 😩

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Def alternator. Aftermarket may be the only option. Just get a name brand reman'd

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got an oem one jjst ro play it safe and put it on today. It seems to have fixed the issue
Staying around 13.7v and 13.8v.

Also, looks like the previous owner had the 2J spacer. It just fell apart when I took the old one out.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Think y'all are over torqueing, still haven't had any issues with mine

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
I don't know, but I looked it up and I am in disbelief cause my 03' FSM says the bottom bolt is torqued to 32-38 in-lb...3 ft-lb....I have been over tightening that bolt a well.... fucking wow

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Daaam. I have never seen a pic of that before. I have even ran 2 different aluminum spacers and never had an issue. I do currently run the steel one. I would also guess over torquing being the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts