A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a bit on the forum as well as Allsentra.org for information on both and I wanted to get perspectives from those who've done both.

I'm not doing this anytime soon, as I want to take my car to a track day before I really start modding it to see if power really is what's needed, so please don't look at this as another post from a ''dreamer and not do-er.''

First is, I've read the cow tail of VQ swapping B15's, but not a whole lot of information regarding VQ swapping a B16. Most threads that I could read from the dozens out there basically start out the same, ''is it possible?'' and a bunch chiming in speculating it. I'm more or less wanting to hear from the people who've done it and see what their takes are on it from it being worth the investment or...as Hoovies Garage puts it ''a mistake you end up living with'' (referencing LS swapping a Porsche 911) and what the pluses and downsides are other than the power addition.

The next question I'm curious about is people who run nitrous. I see a few people have it, and even read a tutorial that gives a brief overview of how to install it. But one thing I've always wondered is what other steps have to be taken in order to run nitrous on a B16. Such as tuning, is it required? Is there anything that anyone's experienced when using it such as the ECU retarding ignition immediately, or if there's any other grimlins that pop up when spraying. I like the idea of running nitrous and I know about the very basics as far as going with a colder plug and all that. I would feel these cars would be very receptive to it since we already run premium and have a relatively high compression ratio.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nitrous....
Lol, I figured I'd get something like that. You were a great help before, so I would say you're pointing me in the right direction. I just wanted to make sure that there's nothing that goes on that's not been spoken about...because it's like many mods, people can banter about them all day on a forum, but more often than not...the people who've done it don't post, or don't talk about any problems they've ran into. For example...I have a 98' F-150 that I'm swapping from a 4.6 2v to a 4.6 4v. You can go to dozens of forums where people talk about it, and you'll have a few who've done it...but the people who've done it are normally about as helpful as the people who talk about it because when they did it, they just did it. By the time they talk about it, they don't remember half of the problems they ran into which is for the moment why I've stopped because I'm going to end up just having a shop finish the swap next spring before I go on vacation and can afford to have it down for 2-3 weeks while they get everything ironed out.

·
Registered
8,928 Posts
For the amount of money you'll spend swapping to a Vq you could just go boost. Nitrous would probly be the cheapest route imo. Now I havent gone vq and haven't used nitrous. But I do have 2 built motors. 1 for boost and one high compression na. Both are expensive

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's where I'm at. The Sentra is just going to be cheap fun for now, then maybe next July when I get time off work my wife and I are going to look for a Terminator Cobra, Mach 1 or GT500. Really it just comes down to what I feel like is more long term. I've saved for a few years and I feel it's time to start checking off some bucket list items with my wife. I'll likely keep the Spec around since it's honestly a all around great car that didn't get the respect it deserved new. I can drive it without feeling white knuckle and I don't need outright speed all the time so a 50 shot should be plenty to make it more fun and maybe walk a few Honda's that roll around here.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I was in a Sentra car club about 10 years ago, and there were more nitrous guys than boost at the time, cause it was cheaper, and easier to reverse, and honestly less wear on the motor. It was fun and the sentras torque steer can handle the 50 shot cause you have control on where you hit it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was in a Sentra car club about 10 years ago, and there were more nitrous guys than boost at the time, cause it was cheaper, and easier to reverse, and honestly less wear on the motor. It was fun and the sentras torque steer can handle the 50 shot cause you have control on where you hit it.

That's what I'm thinking. I feel a 50 shot should make it at least comparable to a Focus ST stock and a few New Edge Mustangs. The chassis overall is a good platform, I'm kind of surprised that the aftermarket never caught on to it as much as Mazda Speed 3 or anything like that. There's parts available but very few and most are one off or made to order.

Which actually brings another point. So I had the clutch pulled this weekend and the shop said it was good, and fairly new. The slave cylinder took a dump which caused the throw out to wear excessively. I had them replace both even though they said the slave mechanically would work and likely be okay. It's a weird turn of events, but that's done, I have slotted rotors on the way and other than maybe the nitrous I plan on keeping the car mostly stock. No sense in dumping 3 grand into a car that's worth 5.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I've dumped about 10k into a car worth 2.

Its called the Sentra Lyfe Yo.

or BDSO

(Broke Dick Sentra Owner)

That the reason our chassis never got any love.

Though 2j-racing does support the community, as well as Treadstone, and tdmi.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've dumped about 10k into a car worth 2.

Its called the Sentra Lyfe Yo.

or BDSO

(Broke Dick Sentra Owner)

That the reason our chassis never got any love.

Though 2j-racing does support the community, as well as Treadstone, and tdmi.
Lol, true true. I don't mind shoving money into a car that's not worth it. It's all about perspective and I'm a firm believer in that. Right now I have a 1998 Ford F-150 with 268,000 on it. I probably couldn't sell the thing for more than 1,000 bucks. But, because I love the thing and it's more of a member of the family at this point (multiple road trips and the fact that I've had to do nothing more than ball joints and a starter), I plan on keeping it for some time and investing a few bucks by swapping the engine next year and fixing the rusted out rockers.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. I feel a 50 shot should make it at least comparable to a Focus ST stock and a few New Edge Mustangs. The chassis overall is a good platform, I'm kind of surprised that the aftermarket never caught on to it as much as Mazda Speed 3 or anything like that. There's parts available but very few and most are one off or made to order.

Which actually brings another point. So I had the clutch pulled this weekend and the shop said it was good, and fairly new. The slave cylinder took a dump which caused the throw out to wear excessively. I had them replace both even though they said the slave mechanically would work and likely be okay. It's a weird turn of events, but that's done, I have slotted rotors on the way and other than maybe the nitrous I plan on keeping the car mostly stock. No sense in dumping 3 grand into a car that's worth 5.
there was a large following before someone named Travis decided to jump out of the sentra life and the myspecv forums went under therefore a lot of people lost interest etc. a lot of good info on our cars were lost and we have to rely on the the vets on here and other sites. Nissan honestly fucked up trying to save money while trying to compete against honda and even toyota and we ended up with a rushed qr25 in terms of engineering and build quality.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there was a large following before someone named Travis decided to jump out of the sentra life and the myspecv forums went under therefore a lot of people lost interest etc. a lot of good info on our cars were lost and we have to rely on the the vets on here and other sites. Nissan honestly fucked up trying to save money while trying to compete against honda and even toyota and we ended up with a rushed qr25 in terms of engineering and build quality.
When you say rushed. What are you speaking of? I always do as much research as possible regarding my purchases and I like to know the history of a chassis. The QR25 for the B16 doesn't seem rushed...from what I've read, they fixed the issues that were brought up in the B15's. The only thing I wish was maybe a power bump to about 215-225, but at that point it really leaves nothing to the owner to work out. That's the only downfall I see of it is when it was new, there wasn't a significant difference between the SE-R and Spec V to make a lot of people jump the gun. Reliability wise, the first gen may have been a flop, but it's kind of like the 4.6 in Ford's. The NPI (Non performance intake...1995-2000 in most vehicles) was honestly a shit attempt at replacing the decades old 302ci small block. With only 220HP and 290-ish torque, it was weaker and required more rev's than the 302 to accomplish close to the same numbers. Otherwise, as time went on, people found that the modular family was not only very reliable but also really stout and endlessly modable.

That being said, I am curious as to what happened there. I think one of the things that sucks and this goes for a lot of Audi's and BMW's is how hard Nissan made it to tune the ECU. We should have the same luxury as domestics in the sense that a programmer/tuner can be hooked up and a tune installed...nothing requiring sending a ECU in, or buying 1,000 in programs and hardware, or anything like that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because I've searched and it seems like not many people are active anymore on this forum. But a question just came up that I wanted to ask and since it shows you're a senior member. Does the B16 have Brembo's on the front? I read somewhere that apparently Nissan just re-branded or re-labled the Brembo's from the B15 and put the SE-R logo on it for...uhh ''reasons''. Needless to say, I just wanted to know if anyone knew about this and I didn't want to create yet another thread for...maybe the same 3 people to reply to haha. I'm doing the brakes today and I wanted to know why the hell I just paid what I did for rotors that seem a little bit excessive in size for this car haha.

·
Registered
8,928 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was an option from the dealership just like the b15

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
When you say rushed. What are you speaking of? I always do as much research as possible regarding my purchases and I like to know the history of a chassis. The QR25 for the B16 doesn't seem rushed...from what I've read, they fixed the issues that were brought up in the B15's. The only thing I wish was maybe a power bump to about 215-225, but at that point it really leaves nothing to the owner to work out. That's the only downfall I see of it is when it was new, there wasn't a significant difference between the SE-R and Spec V to make a lot of people jump the gun. Reliability wise, the first gen may have been a flop, but it's kind of like the 4.6 in Ford's. The NPI (Non performance intake...1995-2000 in most vehicles) was honestly a shit attempt at replacing the decades old 302ci small block. With only 220HP and 290-ish torque, it was weaker and required more rev's than the 302 to accomplish close to the same numbers. Otherwise, as time went on, people found that the modular family was not only very reliable but also really stout and endlessly modable.

That being said, I am curious as to what happened there. I think one of the things that sucks and this goes for a lot of Audi's and BMW's is how hard Nissan made it to tune the ECU. We should have the same luxury as domestics in the sense that a programmer/tuner can be hooked up and a tune installed...nothing requiring sending a ECU in, or buying 1,000 in programs and hardware, or anything like that.
when/if you get to work on a b15 1st gen qr25 you'll know what I am talking about. it's all massage chair. Same engine, diff build quality. The QR from 2003 is not the same from current models.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

when/if you get to work on a b15 1st gen qr25 you'll know what I am talking about. it's all massage chair. Same engine, diff build quality. The QR from 2003 is not the same from current models.

Oh yeah, the B15 to me was a laughable attempt at being fun. I rode in one years ago and could never get over how crap everything was and how uncreative the car was as a whole.

·
Registered
547 Posts
vq swaps are slow. until you add nitrous. then a bit less slow.

people have sprayed to 125 on the stock garbage motor, not sure about the gen2 less garbo. garg i think never went over 75
@littleredmachine

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my own thoughts, a VQ is too much motor for the Sentra shell... the back is already so light and these cars have such bad torque steer that I would imagine the car handling very bad. The tail end would be unstable and bounce and slide a lot. Nitrous I’m thinking of myself too... the piston has a 100mm piston stroke and the crank is the most off balance crank I ever did see so you’ll have a very narrow power or should I say nitrous band from 4K to 6k and probably shouldn’t shoot earlier than 3rd gear and no later than 5th gear in stock form.. with internals, heck I honestly don’t know but what ever is equivalent to 15-20 lbs of boost I’d say. And yea bro ALWAYS TUNE!!!! I wouldn’t lower compression at all but I would get forged internals. Here’s the thing.... the more you focus on one goal, making a certain aspect of the motor at its best possible, you’ll end up with a motor that sucks at everything else except at doing what you aimed for it to do best. Are we vibing on this lol? I’m feeling it..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I ended up deciding just to do a bolt ons build. I've seen and met a couple people with bolt on cars (full exhaust, intake and tune) who are really happy with it. I'm likely staying with the stock muffler as I don't want it to sound like a p122ed off bee at 4,000RPM. I've already installed an intake and header and I'm waiting to go to Import Alliance to get the car tuned. I think I may spray it, but from the last time I spoke with a tuner in Atlanta is that he's had quite a few QR people spray with a stock motor between 35-75 off of a wet shot. The only thing that's pulled me away from nitrous is the ability to find a stable supply of it. Around my area there were two shops that sold it, but then they did away with it and the closest shop that sells the gas is 50 miles away and I'm not driving that every time I need a refill. I had a friend who was running a stroked 383 on the bottle and he had to refill last month and ran into the same issue and that pulled me away. Not only that, but I plan on taking the car across country with a buddy of mine so I may just turn the car into a road tripper since it's already been to 4 states in the 9 months I've owned it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts