A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

VQ swapping questions

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Scrapin 
#1 ·
Okay I know there's been some info posted about vq swapping the spec but I've searched and can't seem to find the exact information I'm looking for. I'm thinking of swapping my stock spec, but I need to know what exactly do I need to do a vq swap other than the engine and transmission. Do I need the harness from a vq and the computer? What about mounts, do they have to be changed too? I would really like to hear from those of you who have actually done this swap. I know it's a lot but I want to make sure I have everything I need before doing this, don't really want my car sitting for a month, lol it's my daily driver. I really need a comprehensive list and oh yeah what about exhaust? Just a side thought, I also have a srt-4, would this swap make the spec competition for that car or is turbo qr better? Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance for all of your help.

#4 ·
Okay I know there's been some info posted about vq swapping the spec but I've searched and can't seem to find the exact information I'm looking for. I'm thinking of swapping my stock spec, but I need to know what exactly do I need to do a vq swap other than the engine and transmission. Do I need the harness from a vq and the computer? [yes ]What about mounts, do they have to be changed too?[yes, custom] I would really like to hear from those of you who have actually done this swap. I know it's a lot but I want to make sure I have everything I need before doing this, don't really want my car sitting for a month[[don't start, this is a complicated swap from a wiring point of veiw], lol it's my daily driver. I really need a comprehensive list and oh yeah what about exhaust? Just a side thought, I also have a srt-4, would this swap make the spec competition for that car [ yes if 11sec 1/4s are fast to you]or is turbo qr better? Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance for all of your help.
aside from the above
if you are doing this yourself
imo
buy Travis's complete with motor,harness and mounts, "swap in a box"
from FI-R on this site

you could prob do it in two long weekends
it's the only way i know to do this, quickly and inexpensively

btw
i have one of the slow ones, mid 12s NA

#6 ·
Last I checked there were atleast 3 threads that have pretty much all the info except which wires go where, and about 20 other threads asking the same exact question as this one.

Since its your dd, buy the harness and mounts from travis and boom done deal. Get ur other parts and like yogi said a few days and some beer and git 'er done!

And mine is super slow cause it runs 14's lol!

#8 ·
Thanks for your help. I know there's other threads about the same thing but they all have some information that's the same and some stuff that seems to be done differently by some people. I just really want a reliable answer on what I would be getting myself into here, from beginning to finish and the time involved if I were to do it myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined since my father owned a mechanic's shop for 12 years. I don't know if anyone noticed or not but I'm a newbie on here and haven't posted much so maybe I'm not searching for the right things so please just take it easy on me guys. Thank all of you still for all the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.