A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a VQ throttle body and can't get the re-learn to work. I've done this many times with the QR TB and am very familiar with the process. You are supposed to wait 3 seconds after the CEL stops blinking, turn off the ignition, and start the car for the learning to begin. Each time the engine revs up and down around 1200 rpm but never becomes steady.

I know that the dealer can do this with Consult II but I was wondering if anyone has come up with a variation of the "gas pedal dance" to make it work. I flash my ECU ROM often with UpRev and fear that I may have to go to the dealer each time I re-flash the ROM.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i dont remember in which post it was but someone here said that he used a safc2 to get the idle down to 800 or 900 rpms and make it steady, it should be in a post somewhere :thinking: so maybe you can use your uprev to get them down and steady? btw any noticeable gains?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
IIRC Cupit said it can only be done with the Consult II. He has a "friend" at the stealership so they do it cheep for him. around here its like 90 bucks @ Stealer.

Let us know if it works out well and what HP gains you made (i would love to do this mod to mine)
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Its very tricky. The car temp has to between 190-202, the steering wheel has to be straight, no power should be on when doing the relearn not even the fans. If the CEL is on you have to clear the code first.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont remember in which post it was but someone here said that he used a safc2 to get the idle down to 800 or 900 rpms and make it steady, it should be in a post somewhere :thinking: so maybe you can use your uprev to get them down and steady? btw any noticeable gains?
The issue is not "setting" the idle rpm - I can do that easily with UpRev. The problem is in "learning" the idle air mixture volume. It seems that the ECU is attempting to learn this, without success, as evidenced by the continuous fluctuation in idle rpm.

btw any noticeable gains?
That's funny; there's no way to tell just by driving. I expect the gains to be around 5 whp (Big Al said he got 25, but that's turbo). All area tracks are closed so I'll wait to dyno the car after installing my new header.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
here is the link for the idle relearn. Also you have to put ur idle back to stock setting for it to take.
#!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is the link for the idle relearn. Also you have to put ur idle back to stock setting for it to take.
This post should be a "Stickie" in the Maintenance Forum. Great link!

I just tried your suggestion in your previous post. I cleared the DTC code (but it is still stored in the ECU as a pending code), and warmed up the car to 190-195° before doing the entire re-learn procedure (pedal position, throttle closed position and idle air volume). I did it three times with the same results.

I guess I'll take it to the dealer on Monday and have him do it. He charges $50. That's not bad but I don't wand to do this each time I re-flash my ROM.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
get a good tune and quit messin with it LOL

PS: you getting a custom big tube primaries and 3" collector 4-1 header made?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
check the service manual for your car vs the one the TB came off of to make sure the pinouts are right
I have no idea what the VQ TB came out of but it works except that the idle fluctuates up and down (2200-2500 at warm-up and then at 1100-1200).

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
what was your original idle set at?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I set it at 850.
the idle relearn wont take b/c the idle is too high that is not the stock idle setting. I think the stock idle is 650 but i may be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
Stock Idle is about 700-725 if I remember correctly get your hands on Consult-II let the car warm up, go into Engine then go into Work Support after that scroll down to the Idle Air option and drop it down as much as it would go, I won't drop lower than the factory setting, select update and it should be saved, turn the car off, then turn it on without Consult to confirm the update took, after you're sure it took go about your regular Idle learn procedures Good Luck :)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
he has UpRev and cipher............. cipher is a consult

i think there was a difference between the early and later VQ TB's, like a couple of wires are swapped.

you could check the Spec V wiring, and then check an early and later VQ TB schematic to see.

BTW, what is the code you are getting?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stock Idle is about 700-725 if I remember correctly get your hands on Consult-II let the car warm up, go into Engine then go into Work Support after that scroll down to the Idle Air option and drop it down as much as it would go, I won't drop lower than the factory setting, select update and it should be saved, turn the car off, then turn it on without Consult to confirm the update took, after you're sure it took go about your regular Idle learn procedures Good Luck :)
Dropping the idle air to minimum makes sense. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on a Consult II - gotta go to a dealer. Do you know if that's a static value in the ECU ROM or do I lose it when I re-flash it?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
he has uprev and cipher............. Cipher is a consult

i think there was a difference between the early and later vq tb's, like a couple of wires are swapped.

You could check the spec v wiring, and then check an early and later vq tb schematic to see.

Btw, what is the code you are getting?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts