A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,133 Posts
Nice. I was expecting alot more pages than that.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
haha i got the wiring diagram as well
If you have a diagram from me, it's almost certainly incomplete and incorrect in some aspects. I have never posted a complete diagram for this swap.. Only a partial from 2005, when I tried to help a customer get his car running.

I don't see why people think this stuff is top secret or something.. ? It's not rocket science to do this swap.. It's just a lot of parts, time and it's labor intensive. The wiring is especially annoying.. taking the better part of 2 days to build a harness (the right way).

I don't freely give out measurements, diagrams, etc.. Why would I? Companies don't give out proprietary information very often, and this is no different. If you want to take 5-6 year old information, and put it out there as "current" and "correct", then, that's your call, but, you need to at least tell people that it's out of date and possibly incorrect.

I have no problem with providing parts for people that want to do their own swaps.. I sell mounts, and complete wiring harnesses. I also have no problem with someone doing their own swap, if they want to figure it all out on their own. What I don't appreciate, is when people act as if I "owe" them information that I've spent years building. At the end of the day, this is a business, and I have a family to feed. I do not mind helping someone, but, please don't expect me to just freely give away information that could potentially take business away from my company.

Remember.. this stuff exists because I started it, more than 6 years ago.. Would another company/person have tried to do this eventually, if I hadn't? Possibly.. But, the point is.. many of the Spec V's performance parts started right here, with my company. If my company goes away, then, so does a big chunk of FUTURE parts development. That's not being smug.. it's just the truth.. and, it's a big reason why I try to protect my investment(s) when I do this type of R&D.

Take the turbo QR market for example.. Our company turbocharged the first QR, back in 2002, and we also had the first production based turbo kit for the Spec V. Since that time, several companies have copied our design, to a T.. Including Powertech Imports, Turbonetics, SSR Engineering, and now, Treadstone. Now, we have 200.00 cast turbo manifolds, and turbo kits made in China, which are priced at levels that NO U.S. based fab company can compete with. I cannot sell a QR turbo kit, with quality made, U.S. based materials, that can compete (in price) with a Chinese made kit. These guys are having piping/intercoolers/manifolds made overseas, for pennies on the dollar, and still making a KILLING off of you guys. Sure, it seems great for you guys, because it's cheaper.. but, in the end, you are only shooting yourself in the foot. Companies such as Hotshot Performance have already gone under because of this kind of crap.

When you take info, copy it, and send it overseas for cheap reproduction, you are only working to sink the original company that designed the parts in the first place. Those companies that copy parts aren't going to be able to design new stuff when the market dries up. THAT is my biggest fear, and it's why I am cautious as to how I provide information. If that is viewed as "greed", then, so be it. If someone came to your company, and tried to take your job.. wouldn't you do everything in your power to stop them? This is no different for me. This IS my full time job.. and this IS how I put food on the table for my family. I will bend over backwards to help anyone, but, I have to look out for my own.

Travis

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I just found this on my comp and figured why not post it up.
Ash.. this installation manual for my kit, is WAY out of date.. It does not reflect the parts, or procedures that would go with my current kit. I don't care that it's posted, but, please edit your post to at least let people know that it is out of date. I don't want people doing something the wrong way, and then coming back to me, asking why my instructions don't correspond to my current parts.

Thanks,

Travis

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
A VQ swap is just time consuming. Getting the motor in the car is easy. The wiring is going to be FAIL for most Sentra owners, period, even with a "diagram". If you can't read a schematic, don't know your sub-systems, or can't use a multi meter, you're hosed, even with a diagram.

It's not Honda swap easy by any means, but it's not impossible for anyone with SOLID automotive skills.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
how did Treadstone copy your kit to a tee, or Turbonetics for that matter? Because neither of those kits even comes close to being a copy.
Every kit out there (production) looks virtually the same.. Treadstone took someone's manifold design, sent it overseas and had it cast for pennies. The manifold looks very similar to the manifold that SSR had made.. Guess where SSR came up with that design? We built a short runner (non-log) manifold years ago, which SSR copied almost exactly.. Now, Treadstone has a cast manifold that's identical, with the exception of wastegate placement.

Turbonetics is probably the only company that actually designed a kit from scratch.. So, they probably shouldn't be lumped in with the rest.

I don't really care about it.. that was years ago, and I learned my lesson..

Travis

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
A VQ swap is just time consuming. Getting the motor in the car is easy. The wiring is going to be FAIL for most Sentra owners, period, even with a "diagram". If you can't read a schematic, don't know your sub-systems, or can't use a multi meter, you're hosed, even with a diagram.

It's not Honda swap easy by any means, but it's not impossible for anyone with SOLID automotive skills.
This is 100% correct.. Even after 6 years of doing this, it still takes me several weeks to fully complete a swap. It's not that it's super hard to do.. it's just tedious.

Travis

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you have a diagram from me, it's almost certainly incomplete and incorrect in some aspects. I have never posted a complete diagram for this swap.. Only a partial from 2005, when I tried to help a customer get his car running.

Travis

i dont doubt that at all... but might provide a baseline for the people trying it themselves...

its on a friends computer, soon as im over there ill post it

·
Premium Member
11,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noted. This thread wasn't meant to knock your work in anyway, it's just some food for thought for the DIY'ers. There is probably only a handful of people who would attempt it and even less that will actually complete it.

Ash.. this installation manual for my kit, is WAY out of date.. It does not reflect the parts, or procedures that would go with my current kit. I don't care that it's posted, but, please edit your post to at least let people know that it is out of date. I don't want people doing something the wrong way, and then coming back to me, asking why my instructions don't correspond to my current parts.

Thanks,

Travis

·
Registered
282 Posts
As old as this thread is, I wanna attempt the swap, happen to be any updates for doing this?
Just wondering, its been itching my goal for 2013 !!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
like the guy above me I'm dying to do this swap here in a couple months I'll have about $4000 to start and id just like some help to start the process... most likely after I can get all the parts I need I'll just take it to a shop and have it all done there cuz than the tools will all be readily available! now I was told not to use the motor from the 02-03 Altima because of oil burning problems.. and I was also told to do a 09-11 ECU wiring harness cuz the 02-06 aren't tunable

·
Premium Member
39,133 Posts
You guys need to contact 5er. He did this swap with alot of trial and errors.

Reactions: Erix03_SpecV

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Wow, now theres an idea. I read most of that. So about how much money are we talkin total?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
More than 5K in just parts. Another 1K for motor mounts. Dont forget the harness which takes time and shredding it apart. I would try it as well but im in the whole with the build I did lol. Just the full wire tuck was a complete head ache and time cosuming. To wire tuck it alone doing everything from scratch and not nowing if I was doing it right, took me more than 50 man hours.
So imagine taking two of them and putting them together. No thanks lol. Cheers to those that have done it. Put in wrench time and soldering time under there belt

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I did a helluva a lot of reading, learning, and scratching head to get mine done. Swapped in my garage with around $2K in parts (I'm a cheap ass shopper), decent soldering iron highly recommended, lots of hand tools, big drill (rear mount), crappy welder (for front mount/exhaust work), and engine hoist. Since the original swap I put in a 2011 VQ, took me a week, and another 7-800 bucks. Done and done. FUN! bwahaha. Special thanks to Barry and his poems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.