A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering a new turbo for the spec since my Garrett currently has more shaft play than the red light district (cxracing .70 compressor/.63 turbine) and it happens to be oil/water cooled. Thing is, the one I have right now is just oil cooled. I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to find a definitive answer as to how hard it is or how I can route the new water lines. Can anyone help answer some lingering questions before I buy a turbo that requires more work than I expected:
-->Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of their setup I can copy? That would be the simplest answer...
-->Does it matter where the lines come from? I know the obviously it has to be from lines designated as feed or return but are some lines better than others as far as location?
-->For example, is a line affected by how far it travels from where it's spliced or traveling "uphill" vs straight across or "dowhill"?
-->Is the job not as simpke as using T connectors and splicing the lines into existing heater hose?

Thanks in advance and sorry in advance if this has already been covered. My noobdom couldn't find it ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am ordering a new turbo for the spec since my Garrett currently has more shaft play than the red light district (cxracing .70 compressor/.63 turbine) and it happens to be oil/water cooled. Thing is, the one I have right now is just oil cooled. I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to find a definitive answer as to how hard it is or how I can route the new water lines. Can anyone help answer some lingering questions before I buy a turbo that requires more work than I expected:
-->Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of their setup I can copy? That would be the simplest answer...
-->Does it matter where the lines come from? I know the obviously it has to be from lines designated as feed or return but are some lines better than others as far as location?
-->For example, is a line affected by how far it travels from where it's spliced or traveling "uphill" vs straight across or "dowhill"?
-->Is the job not as simpke as using T connectors and splicing the lines into existing heater hose?

Thanks in advance and sorry in advance if this has already been covered. My noobdom couldn't find it ��
Super easy....You'll need 2 coolant adapters that fit into inside the rad hose.
One for the upper rad hose and one for the lower rad hose.....

Something like this....
https://www.tdotperformance.ca/greddy-16401638-38mm-radiator-hose-water-temperature-adapter-e.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbIT5kea8syfwpYTbku1bs4uDbBpSI-CvJpOvVzxoRlTWrnGhEsaMkoaAjDpEALw_wcB

EDIT: which turbo did you go with?

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
alternitavely, you could tap into the throttle body coolant lines, same thing, but you do not need to cut and splice your main coolant hoses. Save the coolant hose adapters for a coolant temperature gauge, use the throttle body lines to cool your turbo.

On that, I have been running a turbo with a coolant capable center section without coolant lines hooked up for 3 years now. I was told by an authorized garrett rebuild shop, that adding coolant lines to the turbo was completely optional, as long as you idle before shutdown, or install a turbo timer, so that the turbo can spin down and have oil flowing through it. I have my turbo timer set up for 1.5 minutes after ignition shutdown

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I'm running a garret gt3076r which is oil and water cooled

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Left hose is my feed and right hose is my return

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Left hose is my feed and right hose is my return

Great pic. That will come in very handy. Thanks! :)
Does running the water lines mean I should change to a lower temp thermostat too or have a certain radiator or anything else?

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Great pic. That will come in very handy. Thanks! :)
Does running the water lines mean I should change to a lower temp thermostat too or have a certain radiator or anything else?
Nope

·
Registered
3,010 Posts

Thanks in advance and sorry in advance if this has already been covered. My noobdom couldn't find it ��
You say it has shaft play?
Any other concerns? Burning excessive oil? Not making boost?

Just wondering why someone would feel cxracing would make a better piece than Garrett

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah it has excessive shaft play. It's burning oil and reduced boost. It has some sort of leak coming from the center of the turbo as well (right under the oil feed line), you can see exhaust/smoke coming out. Not to mention its slowly scattered fiberglass from my heat shield all over the engine bay. I plan to get the Garrett rebuilt but can't at the moment so needed a temporary fix

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone knows where a good lightly used Garrett, Precision, Turbonetics... turbo is for sale, send it my way. The quote to rebuild the Garrett is almost what I could just buy something else for. So considering other options too

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Who did you get the rebuild quote from?

A used turbo is always a gamble.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
If anyone knows where a good lightly used Garrett, Precision, Turbonetics... turbo is for sale, send it my way. The quote to rebuild the Garrett is almost what I could just buy something else for. So considering other options too
If you have a legit garret turbo go threw Atp turbos. It'll cost around 600

1 - 13 of 13 Posts