A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've never posted here before nice to meet you all!

I have a 2004 spec v with brembos and spectre cold air, stillen exhaust (dunno what else im not a mechanic) but lately i hear this strange noise when the throttle is floored or almost floored (doesnt make it otherwise and sometimes it doesnt do it all when i do it floor it, weird.) I want to know what it is, I've only heard it in 3rd gear and 4th gear. But I dont feel any or little lack of performance it just sounds like somethings going. It sounds more suspension or something rather then engine but i'm still not sure. Any advice woulkd be great thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try and describe what the noise actually sounds like or record it. just saying theres a noise is a bit to vague to be able to give an opinion on what it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It almost sounds like the sound tires make if you are going through a shallow puddle, like a shshhhhshshshsh. i notice the most in 4th gear and up, if im on the gas ill hear the noise and it stops when i dont give it gas, however i dont feel any performance loss the car still screws lol. Makes me cringe every time i hear it though. also i bought the car with 54k on it and it has 103k and i havent changed the tranny fluid. How bad is that lol (im a delivery driver but i dont beat on the car too much like itll hear "specv" like twice a day.. thats not bad right? and i shift good and grind gears probably like once every 3 months)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The weird thing is too, sometimes illg o a whole day and it wont even make the noise at all! i dont get it lol what could it be... I was hoping/thinking maybe a driveaxle or inside cv or something.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would say exhaust leak. If you have a 4-1 header it might be the donut joint, or if you've got a 4-2-1 header I'd say flex pipe.
My flex pipe leaks, but only when I really get on it, like how you describe. I've got a new one ready to be welded in, but I'm gunna wait till spring to do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, when I baby the car it doesn't make the sound, but like yesterday for example i went hard 1st thru 3rd and then for an hour after that, (im a delivery driver) a few deliveries after that it still made it, but stopped? weird how it starts when i get on it and then stops, what would cause it lol. I just don't want my baby to go KAPAWWW

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's probably heat expansion. When your exhaust pipes heat up, they close what gap you have that's making the leak.
This is all just a guess though, and I could be way off.
Try mixing up some soapy water and squirt it on your exhaust while the cars running, you should be able to see some bubbles where/if its leaking.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
it your exhaust bro. if u have the stock header/exhaust, then when u floor it the the exhaust opens a little from the springbolts connecting the stock header and midpipe. the same exact thing happend to me until i got an xs header and replaced the bolts.

p.s. ur engine wont blow up bc of it lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it your exhaust bro. if u have the stock header/exhaust, then when u floor it the the exhaust opens a little from the springbolts connecting the stock header and midpipe. the same exact thing happend to me until i got an xs header and replaced the bolts.

p.s. ur engine wont blow up bc of it lol
Haha sweet, yea that makes sense because sometimes it sounds like i can hear metal rubbing against eachother.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
BUT, if you DO have the stock header (one with the pre-cat) it actually can blow your engine from breaking apart and getting sucked back into the motor. so get a cat-less header asap! :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
It would probably be a good idea to change the transmission fluid too considering the mileage.

·
Registered
266 Posts
wheel bearing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts