A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went in to get the ecu reflash recall. They couldnt do the reflash because i have a check engine light. One was for the TPS, which ive been trying to fix in forever, changed it about 3 times already..GRR. And one thats new to me is the cat converter. This one stumps me because i got rid of the first cat with the header, and i know theres another cat but never heard of that one having or giving any problems. So they want me to come back in monday, they say its under warranty if it is the problem. Now i talked to this guy darren who is a mechanic there, and when he tried to drive the car out of the lot, the car went into safe mode, he said the tps is broken too, and that i also had a code for that, so i told him that i changed it already about 3 times, did idle relearn at nissan twice, and he said it might be the ecu, And i agreed telling him that im the third owner, and i believe the guy who had it before might of had an SAFC and hacked up the ecu or what ever, and he said that can be one cause of it, he said the ecu is under an 80000 mile warranty and since im at 60k if it is the ecu, they will replace it for free. I told him when i come in on monday im gonna ask for him, since he was nice enough to talk to me for about 15 minutes to diagnose some of the problems from his experience.

Sorry its so long, i just had to vent, this car is pissing me the fuck off, ive come down to the conclusion to either have nissan bend me over and fuck me up the ass, and just let them diagnose and fix the problem(s) or say bye bye to the spec.

-mike.

·
Registered
681 Posts
not 2 jack da thread but i too get a recall 4 da ecu reflash now can i go 2 any nissan dealer or do i have 2 go 2 da 1 i bought da car from?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
ECU kinda makes sense . . .

They also said they would take care of the CAT problem "if its under warranty"
What if its not? they will prob charge you

So ask a million questions before jumping in, but so far i think you are on the right path..so dont sweat it.... good luck

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ECU kinda makes sense . . .

They also said they would take care of the CAT problem "if its under warranty"
What if its not? they will prob charge you

So ask a million questions before jumping in, but so far i think you are on the right path..so dont sweat it.... good luck

Yeah i am gonna ask a million questions, and im also gonna tell them not to do anything before they consult me first, or unless its free..LoL.

Yeah the cat problem...problem is, i have a header sooooo i only have one cat. I have an 02 Sim already installed, this is the first time the CEL came up on the car for the Cat. So i dont know.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
if the cel came on just now since u put the header in chanvces are ur cat is fine.. u have the code cuz of the header.... there is no way to monitor the bottom cat from wat i saw when i did my header.....SO they shouldnt have to charge u for the cat.... BUT u will have to clear the codes in order to do the recall....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The second cat can go bad too, don't be surprised. Now as for the TPS sensor, if its broken it is bad-- plain and simple. Replace it, clear the codes and see how the car runs; how the hell did it break?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah...i changed my header about 1 year and a half ago. The light for the cat just came on now. As for the TPS, ive changed it 3 times, bought it back twice had them test it. They told me its fine. Since my friend was with me at the time and he has an account with star nissan because his uncle has a shop and they knew him at the parts department, the gave us new ones both times even though the ones we bought back we fine.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not 2 jack da thread but i too get a recall 4 da ecu reflash now can i go 2 any nissan dealer or do i have 2 go 2 da 1 i bought da car from?

Marco, bring it to any dealer, no appointment needed. I suggest getting to Star Nissan Early cause they can get busy, try going around 7am. Ill be going tomorrow around 7, lemme know if you wanna meet up! I still got the same #, hit me up.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy shit, so i went to nissan again today. They had my car for about an hour to 2 hours, then they come in and tell me that they cant do anything to the car because it doesnt have a cat converter, because i have an aftermarket header...DERRR...thats what i told you in the begining. So anyways, i didnt care about that cat CEL, so i proceeded to ask him about the TPS, and if he looked into it and the ECU, he said that the cause of the TPS is because i have no cat, that the computer's readings from the, i guess the 02, is wrong thus making TPS go nuts and sending the car into Limp Mode, and they cant do any further work unless i change it back to my old header and see if it fixes the problem. But i told them that ive been having this TPS problem even before my header was put in, and ive had the header for about a year and a half, and its the first time the light has ever come on.... he shrugs and says "i dont know, just try." Fuckin A!

So now im pissed, while he goes and finished up my paper work, i go to the guy who works on my car and i ask him to look into my ECU, and see if theres anything wrong with it. I told him i ll pay the diagnostic fee, and even throw some money his way just for looking. He said no, there should be nothing wrong with your ECU, its because you have an aftermarket header its making your car act up. So for about 5 minutes of trying to convince him to check he goes, "well, they told me to clock your car out and thats what im gonna do" and he leaves. The nerve of that guy. I recognize the guy though, and i know he recognizes me, his son and him shop at my job alot, im gonna give him the V.i.p treatment when he comes in now....thats right, every game he buys is going down my pants.

So now im stuck....Wtf am i to do.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Ya star isnt what it used to be. There used to be a chubby asian fellow that worked there and he was part of nycmaximas. He always hooked me up with discounts and even told me whats wrong with my car and didnt charge me anything.

I went to Nissan like two days ago just to ask what parts I would need to replace a head gasket. And they looked at me and said "you shouldnt change that on your own, you will void your warranty...". I told them I dont have warranty thats why I have to do this on my own, no way am I gonna pay you a grand or more to change a head gasket.

So I asked them again what parts do I need. He said to bring the car in to run a diagnostics and then they will tell me. And charge me 100 bucks plus tax.... I just left. They are jerks there now. I even asked one of the mechanics the same question and he just said head gasket but I know he wasnt telling me everything.

Fuck stealerships.

·
Registered
979 Posts
if you do it the right way you will only need the head gasket and a tube of gray silicone gasket... but if you take off both manifolds then you might wanna get those gaskets too. and if you're really picky you can get a valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the PM Chris, let me know about that ecm and if you find out any more info on my problem. Thank you sooo very much for trying to help.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
if you do it the right way you will only need the head gasket and a tube of gray silicone gasket... but if you take off both manifolds then you might wanna get those gaskets too. and if you're really picky you can get a valve cover gasket.
When I was at nissan I asked about any sort of silicone that I would need and they didnt tell me anything. Where can i get that gray tube silicone?

·
Registered
979 Posts
auto zone, pep boys, the dealer. Just tell them you want gray silicone gasket maker. Also if you need any help let me know, i have some experience

1 - 20 of 22 Posts