A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story of this car starts with the demise of my beloved red 04 Spec to Hurricane Sandy in October, 2012.
http://http://www.b15u.com/threads/11477-westner-04-Spec-V-Paramus-NJ
I had just finished rebuilding the motor with a radical $4,500 head from DPR, a new clutch and flywheel and was waiting for 2JR to send me their header. Hoping to salvage that motor, I shipped the car to 2JR, only to discover that the brackish water got into the entire power train.

Joe offered to sell me a silver '06 Spec shell that was sitting in his lot and we were going to build an SQR motor using QR20 pistons and a custom crank and signal plate. When that fell through because the parts were not forthcoming, Joe offered to build an RTR motor for the silver car. The motor was awesome - 230 whp. There was a problem with the silver car. In more than three years, Joe could not obtain a title for it. So I purchased a black '06 Spec in New York State and trucked it down to him. Then another problem came up - the RTR motor could not be driven on the street with pump gas.

Joe suggested that we build another motor, just like the one in my old '04 Spec, with the DPR head and the 10:1 J&E pistons. Since the pistons in my old motor were shot, he would get another identical set. With the 2JR Intake and header the motor made 221 whp and 187 ft-lb torque.

The car was finally delivered last December but the motor was DOA. Please don't ask what happened because Joe and I are at odds about this.
556.jpg
Since the DPR head was damaged beyond repair, I decided to start from scratch. I got a JDM motor with about 36k miles, a set of Wiseco 11.5:1 pistons, a new timing chain, new oil pump, new water pump, head bolts, gasket sets, bronze valve guides and seals, and new valves. I'll check with the engine builder if I also need new valve seats. I'll be going there after the pistons arrive in 2-3 weeks to have the block bored and honed. They will also do the head.

I'll post pictures and progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
Glad to see your getting back on your feet with this man. Good luck

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
indeed
THE Master is back
it's very good to see you posting again

sorry for the lack of a pm answer
i just can't find any of those weld lugs
[recent move, had to replace my camera and phone,
can't find anything. lol]

still love those centerline wheels on yours
Your message box is full here.

Summit didn't have the 12x1.25 and Jegs' picture didn't match the ones I had, but when the 2 sets came in they were the exact ones.

I see that you replaced your lightweight crank pulley. Where did you get the one you are using and how much does it weigh?

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Your message box is full here.

Summit didn't have the 12x1.25 and Jegs' picture didn't match the ones I had, but when the 2 sets came in they were the exact ones.

I see that you replaced your lightweight crank pulley. Where did you get the one you are using and how much does it weigh?
Yogi got the same pulley I did, the ATI Superdamper, its probably close to stock damper weight, but much better constructed and works better for higher reving engines.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Treadstone sells the ATI but I don't think they currently have any. Probably could contact ATI and buy direct or see of Treadstone will order some or do a group buy. I know you obviously don't want to buy it from from where I'd typically send people.

If there's another group buy I might be interested in getting in on that. My 110k mile 13 year old stock dampener is probably not in the best shape and I definitely do not want a lightweight pulley.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Treadstone sells the ATI but I don't think they currently have any. Probably could contact ATI and buy direct or see of Treadstone will order some or do a group buy. I know you obviously don't want to buy it from from where I'd typically send people.

If there's another group buy I might be interested in getting in on that. My 110k mile 13 year old stock dampener is probably not in the best shape and I definitely do not want a lightweight pulley.
the ATI buy was only on here, no third parties were involved, IIRC. and yes, it was through Treadstone. You can get the damper, but it is a whole lot closer to $1000 than the group buy was. IIRC I paid in the $750 area

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it seems heavier than stock
it's huge

i went from the lite pulley to this one
vibration dramatically decreased
Why should you have any vibration if the rotating assembly was balanced, unless you're revving over 7.5k? I've been using the Unorthodox Racing pulley set in my B13 for years and the single pulley in my '04 Spec without any problems. I had no idea that thing costs so much. My motor will be blueprinted and balanced and I'll set my rev limit at 7,200, I should be OK with a good quality lightweight pulley.

Thank you guys for the info.

·
6,594 Posts
Why should you have any vibration if the rotating assembly was balanced, unless you're revving over 7.5k? I've been using the Unorthodox Racing pulley set in my B13 for years and the single pulley in my '04 Spec without any problems. I had no idea that thing costs so much. My motor will be blueprinted and balanced and I'll set my rev limit at 7,200, I should be OK with a good quality lightweight pulley.

Thank you guys for the info.
I believe the vibration that Barry is speaking of is the result of doing the BSR and the inherent vibes of big 4 cylinders. Karl (MisterNuts) experienced the same when he switched to an ATI damper.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
yup
with the wrong solid mounts shook my alternator apart [on a mt run]
dropped parts like bread crumbs

other mounts tuned to a different resonance frequency greatly dropped the vibes
however mine goes to 7200 very often [every time its run]

i got the damper on my wifes instance
and even though my rotating assemble was meticulously balanced
this made it smoother yet

my nhra tracks here require it for running sub 11.99
already have the role bar

so for the 1st time i'm legal at nhra tracks
[until 11.49]

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
the idea behind the ati is to get rid of harmonic vibrations that can cause problems if they are at the right frequencies, like a glass shattering at a certain pitch of sound. the same thing CAN happen to the crank, I read up on the ati and why and how it worked before I jumped in on the group buy, I call it $750 worth of insurance more than anything. the elastomer o-rings, and the weight in the ati damper cancel out the harmonics, and can be rebuilt if need be. even has rebuild intervals on the sticker for different types of racing and street use

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
the idea behind the ati is to get rid of harmonic vibrations that can cause problems if they are at the right frequencies, like a glass shattering at a certain pitch of sound. the same thing CAN happen to the crank, I read up on the ati and why and how it worked before I jumped in on the group buy, I call it $750 worth of insurance more than anything. the elastomer o-rings, and the weight in the ati damper cancel out the harmonics, and can be rebuilt if need be. even has rebuild intervals on the sticker for different types of racing and street use
The main benefit I've seen is oil pump life longevity for those who are revving to 7500 or higher. I also noticed a bit smoother ride after the pulley install, but tough to tell since the car was down for almost 2 years since I had last driven it.

Also, good to see you back at it Andy :)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the car was down for almost 2 years since I had last driven it. :)
Good do hear from you, Karl. Very few of us old-timers left on this forum.

The last time I raced my car was in 2010. Then I lost my new build to the hurricane of 2012 - and the second "new" build in 2016 due to human error in December of 2016. I'm not giving up even though powers beyond my control might be telling me something. The worst part about the latest build was that I was taken advantage of by a "friend". It was the same feeling I had when I was in the jungle in Vietnam and the incident with Jane Fonda. I have not forgiven her to this day.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yup
with the wrong solid mounts shook my alternator apart [on a mt run]
dropped parts like bread crumbs

other mounts tuned to a different resonance frequency greatly dropped the vibes
however mine goes to 7200 very often [every time its run]

i got the damper on my wifes instance
and even though my rotating assemble was meticulously balanced
this made it smoother yet

my nhra tracks here require it for running sub 11.99
already have the role bar

so for the 1st time i'm legal at nhra tracks
[until 11.49]
I know that both your wife and NHRA required that you use the HD and that most power-adders need to use them, but there are some NA guys who have a lead foot or do a lot of serious racing could also use them.

If your car has a radio with an antenna, you have a way of measuring if your crank produces vibrations and at what RPM's. This is a two-man operation. One person has to s..l..o..w..l..y step on the gas while the other person watches the tip of the antenna. The antenna tip will vibrate if the crank vibrates. Note the RPM and continue until you're just below the red line.

If you've noted any significant vibrations, then you definitely have to get rid of that lightweight pulley and try the test again.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
@westner I'm pretty sure I have a passenger side crank Shield if you're still looking for it

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I'm glad you didn't let this set back didn't get the best of you Andy. We all go thru set backs in the Aftermarket world its all a learning process. Is there anyone here have a ATI Damper f/s pls contact me ASAP thanks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts