A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for the pulley; it was perfect. There were no vibration issues at all but I won't know for sure until after the motor is broken in and I start to redline it.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Pics of my leftover parts.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

$4,500 DPR Race Head. Note hole in combustion chamber circled in red.

009.jpg

021.jpg

010.jpg

$12/gal "Race Fuel" removed from my gas tank.

014.jpg

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I'm so interested if this was a pulley issue, or a timing, cam gear/phaser issue. It blows my mind and scares the shit out of me, as I'm aiming for 12.5 compression, lol.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm so interested if this was a pulley issue, or a timing, cam gear/phaser issue. It blows my mind and scares the shit out of me, as I'm aiming for 12.5 compression, lol.
This is a complete new engine. The issue with the motor that was delivered from Georgia was that the pulley was not torqued to specs and fell out. It car ran only about 15 minutes in my driveway before the interference engine occurred.

It would scare the shit out of me too to aim for 12.5:1 compression with a 4" stroke. You would have to be a guru with both an UpRev tune and a mechanical tune to make it work. I seem to recall that others have tried this without success.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
This is a complete new engine. The issue with the motor that was delivered from Georgia was that the pulley was not torqued to specs and fell out. It car ran only about 15 minutes in my driveway before the interference engine occurred.

It would scare the shit out of me too to aim for 12.5:1 compression with a 4" stroke. You would have to be a guru with both an UpRev tune and a mechanical tune to make it work. I seem to recall that others have tried this without success.
That thing is sexy man.

I'm running those RZ cams, and had a ton of head work done. Redoing the bottom end.

I boosted 8lbs on 11.5:1 Compression on e35 at 288hp over at UMS Tuning on Uprev. They do great work tuning, so I'm comfortable with them handling it for me. I'd like to be at 240 at 8k if possible

Decided to ditch the turbo and go full NA no excuses build. The blocks gunna be sleeved, I'm running knife edged crank, and gunna source out some forged pistons. We got some hook ups in the industry, just waiting for funds to roll in for the build.

My boss is building a building a single cam Barra, probably looking at 1000hp, and he's helping me with the mechanical side of things.

I'm anxious to see what you do with this build. It looks gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm done with this build. Need to break in the motor, get the car inspected, get a tune and maybe get it painted (I hate black). If all goes well, I'll take her down the track a few more times. I think I'm the oldest (75) member of the group since Barry died, so I need help in the pits just to change wheels.

With that high compression you'll definitely get over 240 whp without having to go to 8k on e35. A knife edged 07+ balanced crank can easily get you to about 7.5k.

You'll probably need some valve lifter buckets when installing your cams. I have a bagful of assorted sizes if you need some. PM me.

Best of luck with your build.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I'm done with this build. Need to break in the motor, get the car inspected, get a tune and maybe get it painted (I hate black). If all goes well, I'll take her down the track a few more times. I think I'm the oldest (75) member of the group since Barry died, so I need help in the pits just to change wheels.

With that high compression you'll definitely get over 240 whp without having to go to 8k on e35. A knife edged 07+ balanced crank can easily get you to about 7.5k.

You'll probably need some valve lifter buckets when installing your cams. I have a bagful of assorted sizes if you need some. PM me.

Best of luck with your build.
My head is actually done. I was hoping to bolt it down this month but came across corrosion in my block, so re-sleeving a cylinder and getting new pistons, bearings, etc.

·
Super Moderator
20,873 Posts
@westner stoked for you :woot:

If you weren't so far and I was able, I would gladly lend you a hand at the track.

Reactions: westner

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R SPEC V
644 Posts
looks good. I know you been through a lot with this build and the others. but keep up the good work. cant wait to see what it does.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Got started on my slow engine break-in when only after 20 miles I got a P0300 code. Usually that's a crank position sensor problem but it turned out to be some bad eBay ignition coils. Luckily I had a set of Denso spares. Now I just have to wait for the OBD2 Readiness Monitors to reset before taking the car for inspection.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Bad luck seems to come in bunches. Evap canister bracket corroded off. Had to weld on a new bracket and replace the canister but kept getting "leak" codes until I replaced the two solenoid valves. Still waiting for the monitors to reset. Next is a trip to RT Tuning in PA for an UpRev tune.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So glad to see you have a running car after all that heartache! I'm trying to get mine back on the road after 6 or 7 years!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts