A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

28661 - 28680 of 28718 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
Deposit got left...apparently that's all that matters....

P.S. I don't use lube or lotion...

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Haha nah but its was instant love. I needed change, I needed an excuse to go 5 lug. I have a soft spot for beautifully cut chunks of of aluminum.

Wtf is up w 2J?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Got the center caps (gahdam thats expensive) and hub rings and lugnuts. Still waiting on brakes tho :( Apparently waiting on the 5 lug hat or something. Also the midpipe will be here soon. Think Ill do my parking brake cables at the same time. Yay!

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
I told you about them caps, that's why I spent the money on the hub centric ones.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Well, another fail. I changed my front passenger strut mount hoping it repaired my popping issue. It didn't.

Mechanic said it's possibly the wheel bearing getting loose since the other person who changed it probably damaged the steering knuckle/spindle.

I'm close to $2k in repairs now trying to fix this. Not sure where to go from here anymore. :(

Anyone else have some input?

Basically I need to replace this entire side. I can't even find the part oem. I have ABS too, so idk if that's an issue.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Dam bro. You have to find a way to duplicate it. I dont see how a wheel bearing, even the clip could cause a popping noise. There would be other symptoms. If you can have someone roll the car slowly while you look at it outside while it does it, you can see or feel for it

Reactions: zeno

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
Just get a bearing set, you don't need a new knuckle and hub, press the old stuff off and press the new stuff on.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Nah itll be alright. If anything is damaged, its the bearing. I wouldnt guess the money tho. Popping is usually the axle.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
Its a race and bearing set IIRC for the front hub assembly, problem would be the with in the old set or the knuckle it's self.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The popping isn't continuous like a bad cv axle. It's more like a single intermittent pop and it will do it at low speeds only. I'm ready to say F it, and just replace the entire knuckle, bearing, and hub. If that doesn't work, I give up.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
You should be able to find it. Just look and pursue it. Put the front end on jackstands and see whats going on with your own eyes if you can duplicate it then. Possibly just a loose nut or bolt..

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys. But believe me, I've taken it to 4 different guys, and it's been checked over and over again. The reason I think it's the bearing area is because that's where the incompetent guy messed with it (I saw him pressing bearing in and it popped out as he was doing so, wish I never agreed to let him work on it).

Another guy who charged me an arm and leg temporarily fixed the issue after installing a new bearing (claiming it wasn't installed right aka bearing ring was bent, which I believe).

Fast forward 5 months later and the sound is back. Talked to the same guy who fixed it and he claims the knuckle/spindle is messed up as mirrortints also pointed out.

Guy number 3 who worked on it today also thinks it might be that area as the strut mount replacement didn't help.

It's a terrible saga. Wish I put all this money into turbo or new coilovers.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Now I am trying to get the right part. But of course it's not easy. Nissan OEM websites are saying there are only two knuckles: Left (ABS) and right (NON-ABS). So basically the part I need doesn't exist as I need right ABS. LOL

I confirmed that the part fits with my VIN, which seems even more confusing.

Unless Nissan made a mistake and both sides have ABS (doubtful)? My research says that the sensor is on the knuckle mount. Does anyone know have any insight?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
It looks like the part has ABS (even though nissan says no). Does this look right (the 1st pic is my car & 2nd OEM part)? The two round holes (one smaller) are where the ABS mounts, right?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I think the only difference in the knuckle is the hole drilled it for the abs sensor. Even if u didnt have abs you could use whatever knuckle. I really think you could get a much better deal through a junkyard. LKQ seems to be nation wide and is a good resource. Shouldnt pay more than $100 for a knuckle w bearing.

I am a very firm believer in knowing where the sound is coming from. Try to duplicate it as you watch it. I hope it is in the bearing or knuckle for you. That would be a first for me.

28661 - 28680 of 28718 Posts