A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So like forgive me if this has been answered a butt load of times. First off I'm a girl that knows nothing about motors other than your basic tune up. ;-) I do all other things for the most part on my own such as electrical, suspension, and brakes. I just want more power and an engine that has more aftermarket parts for building a fun toy. What all would I need in order for this to become a reality and fun to drive at the same time? I will post pics of him later from bone stock to where he sits today. He has 80K miles original and is currently in the body shop having special work and custom paint being done. He may be the only one that is as different in the USA.
Thank you for all of your assistance in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Yeah, you would be the first to try it in a B16... biggest piece you will need IIRC is a p11 bell housing to mate the tranny to ther mr20 and the obvious custom mounts and that's where it's going to be fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you would be the first to try it in a B16... biggest piece you will need IIRC is a p11 bell housing to mate the tranny to ther mr20 and the obvious custom mounts and that's where it's going to be fun.
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by IIRC? mr20 or SR20? I'm having a shop do the swap once my motor dies. I just want to gather all parts before the build is all. Thank you for helping me...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think cricki is thinking you have the other MR20 motor tghat came in Sentras.

Can I ask why you want to go with a SR20, and not rebuild the QR25, and go for boost?

Treadstone Performance makes a good Turbo kit for the b16 SpecV, and 2j-racing.com does engine builds of all kinds.

With a motor swap you'll need a custom one off mounts (since this has never been done in a b16 chassis) which is doable, and a transmission bell housing or adapter to make it fit okay, and possible axels.

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
IIRC = if I remember correctly

Auto correct changed it to MR and didn't notice obviously, supposed to be SR. I'm trying to remember a place that sold p11 bell housings..... but drawing a blank

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Nope, it was G-Spec but they no longer have them available.

Part number: 30400-8H811

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think cricki is thinking you have the other MR20 motor tghat came in Sentras.

Can I ask why you want to go with a SR20, and not rebuild the QR25, and go for boost?

Treadstone Performance makes a good Turbo kit for the b16 SpecV, and 2j-racing.com does engine builds of all kinds.

With a motor swap you'll need a custom one off mounts (since this has never been done in a b16 chassis) which is doable, and a transmission bell housing or adapter to make it fit okay, and possible axels.
I was told that the SR20 was a better engine to build. If not that's good to know. So Treadstone did have that option on their website but now it's not available. So do I buy it from a 2nd retailer? What would I need to boost it properly and push a nice HP out of it? So I'm not Engine smart, if you don't mind breaking it down for me that would surely help me out.🙂

Thank You, KittyKat

·
Registered
480 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the SR20 is a great motor. Especially the VVL (Vtec), and they are surprisingly cheap nowadays. But the QR25, the motor in your car, has alot of advancements that the b15 gen didn't get. Like the dual weighted crank, and oil squirters. And a rebuilt motor can get you back to 200hp, which is where the SR20 tops out at anyways (N/a for N/a)

You can Call Victor over at Treadstone, I'm sure they still have kits lying around.

I'd say a reliable 360hp is good on your block, with a fresh rebuild of course, turbo'd

If you read through here in this forum, you'll see the potential on the QR.

Check out Allen Edge's turbo build, it's probably my favorite b16 build.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Id personally never get an sr over the qr in the b16 spec v. It's a better NA engine all around, e.g. torque, fuel efficiency, and hp. As Tritton said, Nissan spent a lot of r&d on this engine, making it very unique and engineered for performance, unlike its predecessor which leaned towards fuel economy and emissions. I'd be a downgrade all around. Unless you were going for a ridiculously high turbo hp build, but I doubt you would use this platform for anything like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Id personally never get an sr over the qr in the b16 spec v. It's a better NA engine all around, e.g. torque, fuel efficiency, and hp. As Tritton said, Nissan spent a lot of r&d on this engine, making it very unique and engineered for performance, unlike its predecessor which leaned towards fuel economy and emissions. I'd be a downgrade all around. Unless you were going for a ridiculously high turbo hp build, but I doubt you would use this platform for anything like that.
No I just want like around 300-350WHP So maybe I'm thinking 10-15psi, I'm like totally not sure on those numbers.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Definitely do what Tritton said, then. Your engine with a proper setup and tune should have no problem with those numbers. You'd also make way more torque than an sr all else equal.

Nice to see another b16 owner on here. It's a really rare car and quite underated imo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely do what Tritton said, then. Your engine with a proper setup and tune should have no problem with those numbers. You'd also make way more torque than an sr all else equal.

Nice to see another b16 owner on here. It's a really rare car and quite underated imo.
Alright, and thanks for the advice and help overall. What parts am I going to need as far as internal and boost timer? Can I run it for track at one PSI and one for the streets? Here's a teaser picture... I'm building a Villain car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm branding #IllestVillain. lol Welcome to the club.

I'd honestly sat do a stock rebuild, maybe forged pistons and some stronger rods if you can afford it. Then strap on a Treadstone kit, maybe get those cams Allen just threw up for sale. There a dual stage boost controller you can install, or have any tuner shop install, or if you go UPREV, you can swap out maps, and adjust your boost spring with a manual boost controller. If UPREV is too pricey, you can always use a SAFC neo for some sort to piggyback tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm branding #IllestVillain. lol Welcome to the club.

I'd honestly sat do a stock rebuild, maybe forged pistons and some stronger rods if you can afford it. Then strap on a Treadstone kit, maybe get those cams Allen just threw up for sale. There a dual stage boost controller you can install, or have any tuner shop install, or if you go UPREV, you can swap out maps, and adjust your boost spring with a manual boost controller. If UPREV is too pricey, you can always use a SAFC neo for some sort to piggyback tune.
Allen who? I can't seem to find his build info.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts