A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 SE-R Spec V 2.5 engine has a rod loose. I am almost sure there is more damage to the engine than just the loose rod. I have tried to find another engine to replace the one that is damaged but so far no luck. I am willing to go back with a different size engine, if I can find one that will fit. I haven't seen any 2.0 that will fit at all, and no lower compression 2.5s Any one have any suggestions what will fit?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I believe all Altima 07-12 will fit. They should have similar motor mounts. The internals are different, not the same power.

The ser motor has a dual weighted crank, and oil squirters. all in the bottom end, I say pull it, drop in an Alti plant for awhile, and rebuild the stock motor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tritton, thank you so much I really do appreciate your help. I will rebuild the engine if it is rebuildable, I just hope the head didn't get slapped, the rod is just that loose. There is metal in the oil so I know it went all through the engine. I am looking at replacement engines just in case this one is toast. Thanks again.

Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as the rod's not sticking out the block, its rebuild able, lol
I thought for sure it was going to come out the side of the block, but it didn't. I got started getting things ready to pull it today. I will be ready to pull it in a day or so, Lord willing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought for sure it was going to come out the side of the block, but it didn't. I got started getting things ready to pull it today. I will be ready to pull it in a day or so, Lord willing.
Hey man, so the engine finally let go? I'm surprised you drove on it, but I totally feel your pain! Though honestly, I would rebuild it. I've found many QR25DE's around here, but the Spec V is unique in the sense that it has it's own cam, but beyond that, it's not really all that different from any of the others built after 2007. If it's a rod, I would just get a set of rods and put new rod bearings in and get the crank turned. I would also consider getting the block tanked and replace the oil pump since you said you had fluid in the pan. I haven't rebuilt the engine on my Spec yet, but the whole set up looks straight forward.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alpha2G, that sounds like a plan to me. I hope to have it sitting on the engine stand Thursday if all goes good. I have most everything ready to pull it now. I appreciate your help, thank you.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey man, so the engine finally let go? I'm surprised you drove on it, but I totally feel your pain! Though honestly, I would rebuild it. I've found many QR25DE's around here, but the Spec V is unique in the sense that it has it's own cam, but beyond that, it's not really all that different from any of the others built after 2007. If it's a rod, I would just get a set of rods and put new rod bearings in and get the crank turned. I would also consider getting the block tanked and replace the oil pump since you said you had fluid in the pan. I haven't rebuilt the engine on my Spec yet, but the whole set up looks straight forward.
No.

Thatg b16 SER motor is different.

It is the only motor to have the double weighted crank, and oil squirters, iirc.

Which reminds me...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am about ready to throw in the towel, this engine is kicking my butt. I just carried the crank to have it turned, no can do unless they wield up one journal. Question will a crank from a 2008 altima 2.5 fit this engine? Is there any crank other than a SE-R Spec V crank that will fit.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You mean weld?

I mean, people do it all the time. It's just your daily, I say go for it. Under stock conditions, I don't thing it'd be an issue. YOu can always call Joe at 2j and see if he has one he will sell to you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mean weld?

I mean, people do it all the time. It's just your daily, I say go for it. Under stock conditions, I don't thing it'd be an issue. YOu can always call Joe at 2j and see if he has one he will sell to you.
My wife told me I had weld spelled wrong about the time I hit the post button. lol I looked at 2j and he has one, sure a lot better than the blame dealer cost. I guess I will check around and see if I can find someone who will weld this one. I just hope I can find bearings for it other than the dealer.
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have been doing some checking and from what I see so far is the QR25DE has the same crankshaft as the QR25DE SE-R Spec V. Have any of you found this to be true? Can I use a regular crankshaft in my Spec V?

I just called an auto parts store and they said they have the crank kit that fits a 2008 SE-R Spec V. I will see if it is the same crank before I pay, that is too good to be true.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While doing more reading I came across on Jim Wolf' site two different crankshafts, one is fully counter weighted and the other is not. It says the 2007 is fully counter weighted and the older ones aren't. Is this true? My crank is the top one in the photo, I got from the Jim Wolf site, you can see it isn't fully counter weighted. If this true and I am understanding this correctly, the crank in my engine isn't 2007 and newer, Am I right or am I not understanding what they are saying?

Full Counter Weight Vs No Counter weights.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both cranks were available in 2007+

Only 2007-2012 Sentra Ser SpecV got the Dual weighted crank.

Can you post a picture of your actual crank?
Tritton, it is the top crank in the photo, I just checked 15 minutes ago, but if you want an actual photo I will be glad to post it. Are you saying the top crank isn't from a 2007-2011 SE-R Spec V?

Cricki, it sure would be wonderful if I could find a full counter weighted crank that I could afford.

I read where the balance shaft can beat the oil to a foam at high rpm which can cause oil starvation the to bearings. That within itself is enough for me to disconnect the chain to the balance shaft.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I see what you are saying. In that case, no, it seems someone pulled it apart and swapped out some parts. (or the motor for that matter) I'm kinda interested to see everything you have disassembled so far. I think it'll help some of the eagle eyed guys here find out whats happening and make some recommendations.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts