A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Probably swapped form an 07 / 12 altima. Definitely a single weighted crank. You can get one of those pretty cheap, slam it in and reassemble. Make sure the trigger wheel (sensor plate) that matches up to the crank.

If you decide to go with the dual weighted crank, make sure you get a signal plate that corresponds with the crank.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
The rods look like first gen rods, I need to look at an old image but I'm almost certain those are not the correct rods as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
I may have to wait till I get home to verify the rods but it looks like they swapped the pistons to a non Spec V rotating assembly or swapped the motor for the SER power plant.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I may have to wait till I get home to verify the rods but it looks like they swapped the pistons to a non Spec V rotating assembly or swapped the motor for the SER power plant.
The pistons look correct with the dish, but I have only seen people swapping those into a qr, look like frontier pistons, so they could be the correct piston?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Fellows, I can't thank you enough, this sure sets my mind at ease. When we bought the car, the pre cats had been gutted and the rear cat had been totally removed. This was a racing shop, we bought it from, who sold some cars.

Well this answered a question I have looked and looked to find out. An Altima crank will fit it. My next question is: Will this engine shake like crazy if I don't hook the balance shaft back up? Without the counter weights on it, it looks like it will do some serious shaking. Am I right?

Thank y'all so much again.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The pistons look correct with the dish, but I have only seen people swapping those into a qr, look like frontier pistons, so they could be the correct piston?
This is a QR engine, at least that is what is stamped on it. The top ring land is higher on these pistons than on the lower compression pistons. I will do some more checking. Thanks again buddy, I really appreciate you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here is a picture of the ring lands on the piston:

Ring Lands.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Question, which 2.5 engine has the fully weighted crankshaft that will fit this SE R Spec V engine, and does that engine have a balance shaft. What I am trying to find out is, will the crank I have in the engine now shake more with out the balance shaft than a fully weighted crank without the balance shaft?

I called the parts store today and it doesn't have to be the same crank that I turn in for the core charge. So if I can get a better crankshaft that will work better I am all for it. Is the 2008 fully weighted?

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Only the Spec had the full counter weight crank for the revs and those look like first gen rods.

Not sure how it will act in that frame with the mounts but I didn't mind it before I did mount inserts or even with mount inserts with the BS deleted.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Only the Spec had the full counter weight crank for the revs and those look like first gen rods.

Not sure how it will act in that frame with the mounts but I didn't mind it before I did mount inserts or even with mount inserts with the BS deleted.
I don't understand, what are mounts, I know you aren't talking about the engine mounts LOL

Would the engine shake less with the full counter weighted crank without the BS. I can get one of those if if is a 2008 or if I knew which engine had the full counter weights. Do you think it would be best if I got the heavier rods? I don't plan to do any hot rodin, I am an old 76 year old disabled vet. lol

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
The difference will be negligible. Inspect your mounts, and if you really want, add a weapon r torque damper to negate shaking (If there is any) down the road.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Buddy I really do appreciate your help. I had so many things running through my mind yesterday that the mounts threw me. I was still thinking inside an engine. lol After seeing the two different crankshafts, from what I am seeing is the bottom full counter weighted crankshaft are for a turbo, I didn't realize that was what Cricki was saying. I bet that turbo crankshaft costs a lot more. It sure would be nice. Will the turbo crank even fit a regular SE R Spec V?

Full Counter Weight Vs No Counter weights.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
There is no turbo crank, don't reference the Moto IQ article as they were building an 02-06 QR using the updated crank. We can continue to use the image for reference if needed.

The car came with the fully counted weighted crank shaft stock, the place you bought your car from put the lower grade qr in there to put the car back on the road I'm assuming. You can do the same and I don't know what the difference will be for in cabin vibrations to include the bs deletion but as long as the signal plate for the crank is the same you can run what ever crank.

You might find a short block to use that's still good faster.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
There is no turbo crank, don't reference the Moto IQ article as they were building an 02-06 QR using the updated crank. We can continue to use the image for reference if needed.

The car came with the fully counted weighted crank shaft stock, the place you bought your car from put the lower grade qr in there to put the car back on the road I'm assuming. You can do the same and I don't know what the difference will be for in cabin vibrations to include the bs deletion but as long as the signal plate for the crank is the same you can run what ever crank.

You might find a short block to use that's still good faster.
Thank you so much, that really made my day, I will do some serious checking before I buy the crank kit. I didn't know until a few days ago that there was a difference between a manual transmission crankshaft and a CVT crank. I may be wrong about that but I found a good engine that would work but they said it was for a CVT transmission only. I did see there was something in the pilot shaft hole of the CVT engine.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
I'm also not familiar with CVT's but normally there is no difference to the crank for a traditional auto or manual tranny.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
That Crickikaze said. There is no difference in the crank at all from auto to manual. Its the exact same.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks fellows, I really do appreciate it. I know I keep saying that but I really do appreciate your help. I may take a look at that engine again. Sure would save a lot of time and sweat. I will let you know what I come up with. Thanks again.

Jim

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well that seller had several bad reps so I am leery. If you fellows were in my shoes, what would you do, rebuild or buy another low dollar engine? I can't find a JDM engine or I would go that way. I have had good luck with their engines.

·
6,759 Posts
Since you have a B16, JDM QR's won't fit because most if not all of those are 1st gen and the mounting points are a bit different as b16's don't have a crossmember, but the 1st gen QR's do.

The CVT or SER only (non spec V) 2nd gen QR has a lower compression ratio (10.5 vs 9.5 due to different pistons) and different CAM part numbers, the FSM doesn't list the base circles so there's no info if they're the same lift or not. Also I can only assume ECU tuning is different thus 177hp rating vs 200hp rating.

To be honest, I don't know why you have a 4CW (counter weight) crank in a Spec V. What's the stamping on the block if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking for either an ET80, ET81 or a JA0 stamping. That would sorta tells us what long block was possibly used.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts