A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
6,555 Posts
This is why I just dig up my own part numbers and give it to them. I don't do the whole vin number thing with them. With them they're just covering their butts just in case people come back with special order parts. I know, I was once behind the counter. What happens is that customers come in without vins, then they blame you for not looking it up correctly if it doesn't fit and tries to return a part that you know they tried to use but didn't fix their issue, then the department ends up having a part sit forever.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
This is why I just dig up my own part numbers and give it to them. I don't do the whole vin number thing with them. With them they're just covering their butts just in case people come back with special order parts. I know, I was once behind the counter. What happens is that customers come in without vins, then they blame you for not looking it up correctly if it doesn't fit and tries to return a part that you know they tried to use but didn't fix their issue, then the department ends up having a part sit forever.
It sure makes it tough some times though. In this case I think the parts will fit because they had a diagram of an Altima engine and crank, and got the numbers from that. They didn't have one of a Spec V and now I am glad they didn't. I showed them the bolts I needed as I carried one of each with me except for the reluctor wheel or pick up wheel, what ever it is called. I have really learned an awful lot especially from all you fellows, you guys know your engines.

I will keep you posted how this build goes. I am sure I will have a ton of questions yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
Worse case we can find the actual parts and the corresponding numbers, I have been through the IPB/arts fiche so many times with once in a while issues that I was able to get an answer from someone else on here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I just hope the parts I bought today are the right ones, I will know soon. Since they were using an Altima crank in the illistration and getting the part numbers from that page, I feel comfortable that they will fit. Can you believe that little dowel pin that I will use once to line the reluctor wheel was $7, the thing can't be over 3/4 inch long and about 3/16 thick. But if you don't have it you are really taking a chance of fouling up the timing of the crank sensor. I think that is what it affects, but not sure.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I am being wishy washy about hooking the balance shaft back up. A fellow just told me that the tensioner for the chain for the BS would allow oil to flow through the piston hole of the tensioner. Does the tensioner have an oil port? I am leaning more toward removing the chain and leaving the BS in place. I also saw a video where a fellow made his own polyurethane motor mount inserts. Might give that a try.

The engine still vibrates with or without the BS, the difference is you can feel it without the BS. At one time I was concerned that without the BS the engine might be damaged from shaking, it won't. Is there any good reason I should not disconnect the BS chain?

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
You can just plug the oil port and bolt the bs back in.

No reason to reconnect it, if you do it has to be timed as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
You can just plug the oil port and bolt the bs back in.

No reason to reconnect it, if you do it has to be timed as well.
You just made up my mind for me, I will leave the chain off and plug the oil hole. Do I need to plug any oil holes where the balance shaft bolts in?

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
You will need to plug one hole and that's where it mates to the block.

I'm trying to find ther images I had of the 2nd gen bs that I took apart.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I found the oil supply hole for the balance shaft, I will plug that off so no oil will get through. One question, is the balance shaft supposed to turn easy, this one sure doesn't, I had to use channel locks to turn it.

Take a look at the top compression ring I took off the pistons today, they bent easy as wire. The secondary ring broke though. The ring lands were really easy to clean, they had to have been cleaned not long ago.
Compression Ring.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Big Jim, have you confirmed the pistons are from a Altima or a Spec V? I'm kind of curious how long the engine will last if it's being ran on a Spec V ecu that expects to see much higher compression (compression not necessarily dictating whether it runs or not) and likely different fueling curves. I've been watching to see what's going on as obviously I have no contribution to provide to your rebuild as it seems like you've gotten a boondongle of a set up. I'm curious to see what kind of problems will crop up after awhile. Has anyone else swapped these engines without issue?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Big Jim, have you confirmed the pistons are from a Altima or a Spec V? I'm kind of curious how long the engine will last if it's being ran on a Spec V ecu that expects to see much higher compression (compression not necessarily dictating whether it runs or not) and likely different fueling curves. I've been watching to see what's going on as obviously I have no contribution to provide to your rebuild as it seems like you've gotten a boondongle of a set up. I'm curious to see what kind of problems will crop up after awhile. Has anyone else swapped these engines without issue?
Alpha, you got me to wondering now, I have looked but still don't know if these pistons are SE R Spec V pistons or not. I will keep looking to see if they are or not. I know these look exactly like the pistons in a Rogue engine. Here are a couple of pictures of my pistons.

Ring Lands.jpg
Rod and Piston.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Most of the engine parts came today but the crankshaft has an insert in the pilot shaft hole. Is that insert removable and can it be removed the same way a pilot shaft bearing is. Or is the automatic crankshaft different from a manual transmission crankshaft.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Alpha, if you do tear into your engine, be sure to get the right sockets and drivers to take the bolts out. I didn't and 16 bolts cost me $146.
Reluctor wheel bolt.jpg
Check the reluctor wheel bolts. These little bolts cost $8.99 each + tax

·
Registered
45 Posts
Man, I hope I never have to tear into this thing. I love the car but it does kind of worry me that there's next to no large part availability. I've looked for used engines and transmissions and I can find B15 parts all day, but apparently the B15 must be a beast because I can go up to 300 miles away from my home and not find a single part out. I really am interested in seeing how this goes. With the trouble you're going through I almost would say finding a wrecked Altima would be a safe bet since you're finding more and more wrong with the engine. My question would be is the mileage between the first engine and this one. I almost suspect that because this engine is just wrong on every level that the longevity is a big question because of the mix and match parts.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Man, I hope I never have to tear into this thing. I love the car but it does kind of worry me that there's next to no large part availability. I've looked for used engines and transmissions and I can find B15 parts all day, but apparently the B15 must be a beast because I can go up to 300 miles away from my home and not find a single part out. I really am interested in seeing how this goes. With the trouble you're going through I almost would say finding a wrecked Altima would be a safe bet since you're finding more and more wrong with the engine. My question would be is the mileage between the first engine and this one. I almost suspect that because this engine is just wrong on every level that the longevity is a big question because of the mix and match parts.
This is an Altima engine except for maybe the pistons and maybe the head. Now I am not sure about the pistons and head. I know the crank, rods and block are for a fact Altima, the rest I really don't know yet. I hope to find out, when I do I will post it here. Basically the only difference with this engine is maybe the pistons. If I don't get down on it and try to out run everything in sight, it should be ok. As for the ECM, it will be OK, the reason I was having problems with the car not running strong when it got completely warmed up was the Knock Sensor. My hearing is shot so I thought the engine had a lifter sounding off when it was actually a rod knock.

When I would be just coasting along with no load on the engine, I could give it a little gas and the engine would growl or rumble. To my bad ears I couldn't make up my mind if it was the exhaust rumbling or a rod fluttering. As it turned out it was a rod, I told my wife a couple of times that it sounded like a rod but I wasn't sure or just in denial because I didn't want to believe it could be a rod, but it was.

What I have learned so far with the SE R Spec V, it is basically just like an Altima engine except the SER Spec V crank has 8 counter weights, where a regular Altima crank has only 4 counter weights. The Spec V has heavier duty rods than the Altima, and the Spec V has a different cam set up, someway that I still don't know about. Also the Spec V has higher compression pistons. I think that is about it, at least that I know of.

I would think the ECM would learn what to do with some changes but I am not sure about that either. One of the fellows here who really know their stuff will know though. I am still leaning.

I have done some checking on the pilot shaft insert, it is just that, an insert. I goes into the rear of the crank maybe 5/8-3/4 of an inch. It is just slightly smaller then the pilot hole further back, so it has a very very small lip to hook a puller on and use a slide hammer to pull it out the best I can tell. Man I wish they had sent me a crank without that sucker in there. I hope I can rent a puller, I sure hate to buy one for just one time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thank you Molten I appreciate that. I have tried to find online the difference between the Spec V piston and the Altima piston so far no luck. There can't be a lot of difference, as the Spec V is 10.2 and the Altima is 9. something to 1 ratio. Thanks again for your information that is a big help to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Does anyone have a photo of a SE R Spec V stock piston. I haven't found one yet. I have found many Altima regular stock pistons and they look exactly like the ones I have. I am beginning to believe the engine I have is a total Altima 2.5.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I found an Altima 2.5 piston, it is the one without the rod, the ones I have are the ones with the rod. Notice the location of the wrist pin. To get higher compression the wrest pin would need to be located lower like the one with the rod. With the wrest pin higher the compression would be lower, right?
Rod and Piston.jpg
Altima Piston.jpg

61 - 80 of 110 Posts