A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I am an old 1960s mechanic so all this stuff is totally new to me. I just put a 5 speed transmission on our grandsons 90 Toyota 4X4, that was not fun. lol You have my utmost respect working with transmissions, that is not something just an everyday mechanic can do. One again Tritton, I can't thank you enough. Have a fantastic day buddy. Now on the putting new seals on the valves, and of course I gave my valve spring tool away so this should be interesting to see how to get the springs out. Oh it is easy to get the keepers off the spring, just use a socket and hammer. The down side to that is, you can kiss the keepers good bye because there is no telling where they will go. The the worse part is getting the springs back on without a spring compressor. LOL

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Getting the valve springs off and back on turned out to be no problem at all. I do have a question though. Are the exhaust valve seats replaceable? It feels like there is a lip on the inside of the seat like they can be inserts. If they are inserts, how do they come out?

The intake valves and seats look great but the valve seats on the exhaust side look slightly pitted ever so slightly. The exhaust valves look great however. I may go ahead and put the valves in and test to see if kerosene leaks out of them. That is the way I use to test the heads when I rebuilt an engine. I did narrow the seat on the valves so there would be more pressure in the valve to seat better, back then.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Trying to find something specific online is like pulling teeth, anyone have instructions how to prime a new oil pump? I don't have it mounted yet so I thought maybe it has to be primed before installation. I know how the american cars oil pump was primed years back but the pickup tube does not directly connect to the oil pump of the 2.5. I am not ready to install it yet though I am still lapping the valves on the head.

The intake valves look great, the exhaust valves have ever so slightly pits that need to be lapped out and that is taking some time. I am sure after lapping I will have to adjust the clearance on the bucket lifters.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I dropped the engine back in today, well not exactly, it is sitting in the car. I can not get that engine back where it needs to be. It is sitting on the carriage both front and rear of the engine. This Altima engine was jury rigged in to start with. I wondered why there was spacers under the engine mount on the passenger side of the engine, now I know, it was to keep the front of the engine up off the carriage.

My problem now is I can not move the engine toward the passenger side. I have done everything I can think of, it won't move. Is there a trick to getting that engine back in? I sure hope I don't have to drop the carriage. I could sure use some advice if any one knows about this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I couldn't edit the post I just made. I wanted to say that the engine on the transmission end will not go down any further and it needs to go down at least an inch or two, but it is sitting on the carriage. Does the end of transmission got under the carriage some way?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I don't know about the b16, but the b15 has to slide in tranny first and then, I usually kick the shit outta the block til it slides in place.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
LOL, I got the transmission in too far right now, I am trying to get the whole thing toward the passenger side about and inch or so but something is stopping it. I will just keep kickin, thanks Tritton. Good to know it is just a matter of wiggling until it pops in place.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Happy, happy, happy, the engine is in place now, one thing I need to change and soon. I need to raise the engine on the passenger side at least 1/4 more inches. I looked and it was so close to the carriage I thought it was touching. I put a light behind it and it isn't touching but it can't be more that 2 or 3 thousands clearance there. I will feel more comfortable with another 1/4 inch.

I already have 1/2 inch spacers under the motor mount now, but it isn't enough. I was wondering why the spacers were there, now I know why. If you put an Altima 2.5 engine in a SE R Spec V body, just be aware that it will touch the under carriage with just the engine mount. The spacers have got to go under the part that bolts to the frame, not under the part that bolts to the engine. The spacers will need to be at least 3/4 inches.

I don't know how this is going to affect the rear mount against the firewall. I guess I will see soon.

This sure a pretty picture to me.
Engine is in.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
That's good to hear.

Reactions: BigJim1

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I got most of the engine and parts back in the car except I had to put 1 inch spacers under the front motor mount and still the engine at one point it less than 1/8 of an inch from touching the carriage. If that engine shakes a lot from no balance shaft, it will wear a hole in that part of the engine unless I can get it to move toward the driver's side at least another 1/4 inch. I may be able to modify the mount on the drivers side to get another 1/4 inch.

I wish the guy who had the bright idea to put an Altima engine in this SE R Spec V had to go through this. I have had to battle this build and install from the word go. I still have to flatten the exhaust/catalytic converter by .020. I hope to do that today as there is a bad storm headed this way so no work outside. Is there a way to tell what year this engine is?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Well the latest on the engine install. I have the engine in and all is mostly hooked up. I have done everything I can think of to get more clearance between the engine and cradle. Jacking it higher is not the answer, moving it toward the passenger side is. I found out the Altima engine has the SE R Spec V motor mounts as the Altima mounts will not bolt up to the Spec V frame.

The transmission mount is the problem, the SE R Spec V mount will not let the engine move toward the passenger side at all. I will have to modify that mount or make one to solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Doing mounts on my Altima, I can attest to the movement of mounts. I honestly lined up bolts as best I could, and had to rely on pipping in the bolts to do the lining up for me as well as finagling the floor jack, tilt, lift tilt lift.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Tritton, bolting the mounts up aren't a problem, they line up and can bolt easy, the problem it the mounts I have aren't for an Altima Engine or transmission, the ones I have are for the SE R Spec V B-16. I have the SE R SP V mounts and an Altima mixed engine. My problem is with the location of my engine, it won't move toward the transmission side as the SE R SP V transmission top mount in the photo will not allow me to move anywhere. That top mount will drop into the hole, there is zero adjustment that I need to get that engine moved toward the transmission side.

The only thing I can see, so far, is to cut the rubber part or see if I can cut the metal part the mount mounts too. The photo of the top mount in the photo is actually upside down. This is the rubber part that stops me from moving the engine away from the frame on the passenger side.

By cutting the rubber part or the metal part that the mount sits in, the holes where the bolts go will be at least 5/8 inch off. I may try to make a complete different mount. I for sure do not advise anyone to try putting an Altima Engine in the SE R Spec V B-16. It will be way too close to the frame and the Altima Mounts will not bolt up to the SE R Spec V frame. I was in hopes some one knew of a modified transmission top mount that I could buy.

Just had a thought, maybe I am looking at this wrong, instead of modifying the top part of that transmission mount, maybe there is a way to modify the part of the mount that bolts to the top of the transmission. May take a little cutting and welding but that may be the answer. I will let you know. When I go back out there, if the weather allows and I don't feel bad, I will try to get some photos of exactly what the problem is. Once you see the photos you will see what the problem is.
Oil Pan Almost Touching.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Finally, this engine rebuild has come to a close...almost. I turned the engine over twice yesterday and it fired right up. It does not shake like I was afraid that it would, but it sure does vibrate. I will buy the engine dampers to try to hold the vibrating down and see if that will help.

The crazy part of all this is trying to jack the engine up to clear the frame. No matter how much I jacked the engine up, it only moved forward and put the top and transmission mounts in a bind. I have a 1 5/8 inch spacer under the top mount and the engine is still only fractions of an inch away from the cradle/frame. I highly advise against putting an Altima engine in a SE R Spec V car, it is a nightmare, to say the least.

I have not given up trying to figure a way to modify that transmission mount, that is the whole trick right there. If I had a welding rig, I could modify the part that bolts to the top of the transmission and that would solve the clearance problem totally. If that part of the mount that is a bolt made into the mount were moved toward the passenger side about 5/8 of an inch, all would be fine. I may see if I can find a used one somewhere and experiment. If I do find the solution I will be sure to post it here.

I can not begin to thank you fellows so very very much for your help and patience and your fantastic advice, you flat out know what you are talking about. While there are others who helped me, the two who have hung in there with me all the way through this crazy rebuild is Cricki and Tritton, thank you, thank you, thank you so much fellows. I have learned an awful lot and hope I can help someone else, I do appreciate you fellows.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I finally found the output axle seal for my transmission. The ones I ordered are for the same side, one of the passenger side wasn't listed and no one in this town lists one. I took the old one out and carried it to the parts place and the fellow matched it to an Altima CVT transmission seal. Anyway it worked and I have the car back on the road...finally.

To sum it up, they put an Altima engine in using the SE R Spec V engine and transmission mount in this 2008 SE R Spec V. It will work but you will sweat bullets making the engine fit without hitting the frame. You will need to jack the engine up and move the engine as far toward the drivers side as you can. I mangled the transmission mount and the bracket that bolts to the frame, that is the only way to get the engine to move toward the drivers side.

The ideal thing would be to take the bracket that bolts to the top of the transmission, have the bolt part cut off and moved about 5/8" and re-weld it, it would work perfect that way. There is no other mount that I know of that exists to make this work any other way.

I was really concerned about the engine shaking badly as I did disconnect the balance shaft. There was no need to worry, the engine doesn't shake at all, it does vibrate a little though, but that is not bad at all.

This has been the hardest rebuild I ever have done as the people who I bought the car from mixed all kinds of parts in this car. Well, rebuilding the engine was a snap, getting that sucker back in where it wouldn't hit the frame was the real problem.

I can't thank all of you fellows enough who helped me through this learning process, I really do appreciate all your help. I have built many engines in my life but this was a tough son of a gun. Thanks again fellows.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts