A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

What Engine will Fit 2008 SE-R Spec V

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BigJim1 
#1 ·
I started another thread with the same name about 3 years ago when I was rebuilding my engine. What I thought was an SER Spec V engine turned out to be an Altima 2.5. I sweat bullets making that engine fit back in the little car. The balancer still rubs the passenger side at times as it is so close. I rigged the transmission mount beyond belief but so far it is holding well.

Now for my next problem. There is a noise coming from the head, and I feel the head will need to be replaced. When I tore the engine down, it was just at the point of the rod bearings locking to the crank. Some metal had already melted and stuck to the crank and cams but not very much. I hoped a good polishing would solve the problem but it didn't. Polishing the cam journals and seats, causes the engine to have lower oil pressure. It still holds pressure enough that the engine doesn't mess up but it is low when it is warmed up fully.

I feel it is time to replace that head with cams and the works, or just drop another Altima engine in there. In looking, I see a head will cost more than a used engine unless I can keep searching and find one of a lesser price. My problem is I can't find a 2008 Altima JDM engine. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
So...the Spec-v of 2008 uses the same exact QR25DE from any 2007+ Altima or rogue. Its the same engine. Just swap the accessories from the old engine onto the new one. But even then...those would more than likely be the same as well...The Spec-v does not have a magical spec-v only engine.

I could be wrong about the accessories. But the engine is the same.

#3 ·
So the B16 Spec V does have a specific engine, I don't know how much can be shared with the other QR variants but upper oil pans will not specifically have a set bolt pattern from some of my observations, this is in conjunction with the balance shaft mounting. Even with the mounting endeavors that BigJim dealt with previously, I assume the timing covers are different when it comes to in bay mounting compared to other chassis but I believe the timing covers on most 2nd gen QRs bolt to all 2nd gen motors assuming the all have the same mounting/bolt pattern to the upper oil pan.

#4 · (Edited)
I am not sure about the timing chain cover as there are two separate parts to the oil pan, one being the balance shaft and the section above. The reason it was and is so hard to get that Altima engine in there is the oil pan and balance shaft pan on the SER Spec V engine have a setback toward the driver's side to clear the frame. The Altima engine does not have the backset so the oil/balance shaft pan will definitely hit the frame unless you jack the passenger side motor mount up at least 1 inch.

In Jacking the passenger side up an inch, it will place the harmonic balancer extremely close to the side wall, and a reasonably hard left turn will cause that balancer to touch the sidewall and make a bad sound, but so far it hasn't hurt anything.

You will have to modify the transmission mount and there is no way I can explain how. Just bolting the transmission mount in as it should be bolted will shove an Altima engine way too far toward the passenger side against the sidewall. Actually, a custom mount would be the answer and it would have to be custom made.

It would be wonderful if the oil pan/balance shaft pan would bolt up to the Altima, it would solve a lot of problems.

One more thing, jacking the engine up an inch on the passenger side and moving it toward the driver's side will cause the bottom 02 sensor to be extremely close to, if not, actually touching the fan shroud, so that will have to be cut out to clear the 02 sensor.

Aside from all this, I did not reinstall the balance shaft chain and I did stop the oil port up to it. If there is any vibration there, I can't tell it, it is really smooth running.

I highly recommend not putting an Altima engine in a SER Spec V. JMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.