A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,

Suburban New Yorker here. Pretty noob with car business, didn't even have a car until I was 33, when I moved to suburbs and could not live without a car. Got a used car, but looks like I didn't get a good piece (its not lemon though). It has been going to mechanic every year for some or the other issue and costing $500 at least. This is 2006 Sentra 1.8S Special Edition, now 92000 on odometer.

I wonder how much do your local mechanic charge for labor?

I live in Westchester county, NY and I pay $98/hour, which is little over 3X of what I earn. Anyone around that has a recommendation for a trustworthy mechanic that charges less than that?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mom and pop store in NYC have published rates at around $75-80 but nobody really goes by those rates. You tell them what you need done, they give you a price and they do the work lol. Box stores like Pep Boys, STS, Mavis etc. are around $100-115 per hour and they tend to go by Mitchell labor hours which inflates the price on repairs. The techs in these big boxes are topping out at around $30 an hour (per flat rate hour not hourly) for a good master tech with lots of experience.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I pay 60 here in Texas. With a hook up and great tech

·
Premium Member
39,082 Posts
Another thing you should look at is if the mechanic is actually fixing the issue.

For instance, some shops would charge you four brake service price, but actually only fix 2. Then when you come back, they charge you for the other two and them complete the job.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The shop I go to when I don't feel like fixing shit myself charges $65/hour, I'm located in the Albany area. The reason you're paying so much more is because Westchester county has one of the highest per capita incomes in the country.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I do everything myself and when I do work for others 45 hr plus parts at retail. If you have a place to do your own work and the know how you can save alot of money.

·
Premium Member
39,082 Posts
I do everything myself and when I do work for others 45 hr plus parts at retail. If you have a place to do your own work and the know how you can save alot of money.
That's the kick in the groin right there, not everyone has a place to work on their car.

The cheapest rates in my area is $110 / hour.
I remember the dealership wanting to charge me $125 to do an idle relearn....LOL.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I get $80 an hour for repair at my shop.
$100 hour for fab

those are just shop rates. like said above a lot of jobs are decided by a package type price.

repair work I almost always stick to the $80hr then take a average of book time and actual time it takes.

fab I don't always get $100 all depends on particular job.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I charge 80/hr in my area in Montreal.

Dealerships charge around 110-120

Outside the city goes around 55-60 I would say

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
my dad charges $30 here.

·
Registered
475 Posts
my bro works at a honda dealership as the shop manager...so i get my sentra and accord serviced there :lmao:

labour rates vary depending on what youre doing

example: at honda dealership they work by jobs, only when they troubleshoot, then they work by hour

Brakes job - 149 with parts and labour
oil+filter change - 34 with parts and labour

but lets say your ABS light is on
89 per hour till the problem is solved.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The shop I go to charges $70 an hour.
I tend to try and do things myself. It helps when a LOT of my friends like cars and are always willing to make a day out of it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The cheapest rates in my area is $110 / hour.
I remember the dealership wanting to charge me $125 to do an idle relearn....LOL.
The shop I use in Katy Tx charges $70/hr

Baker Nissan in Houston wanted to charge me $135 to read a code. When he saw the look on my face he said "it comes with a free shuttle within 10 miles" ...wtf?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
It's a good thing our cars can show codes with some pedal dancing. Some shops around me charge $20 each time.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It's a good thing our cars can show codes with some pedal dancing. Some shops around me charge $20 each time.
Android app. Free
Bluetooth dongle $9.99
Includes graphing, track video w gage recording, thrack timer, custom gages and more.

Expression on service manager when you tell him his code reader has been replaced by a free app so take your $135 fee and stick it. Priceless!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts