A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband removed the oil pan and found this in the bottom of it. Anyone know what it may be and where it came from? We have a 2003 SpecV 6 speed manual.

F03B5A7C-1307-40EF-B8FF-0A65AF009D67.jpeg
33C75A73-7365-4F7E-BFC2-2172F421819D.jpeg
3150B576-5D07-4ABF-BF87-77272DDE581E.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Not good, thrust bearing, there are two of them and they are in "contact" with the crank. I will pull up a diagram here shortly.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Yup Thrust bearing. Does it run good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup Thrust bearing. Does it run good?
Well, Yes and no. It started off with a random stall out while driving down the road and getting the camshaft code bank 1 (P0340) We replaced the camshaft position sensor. All was good for about a month. Then I was went to pick him up from the airport (60 mile drive and into Chicago ughhhh) and she started misfiring bad about 10 miles away. Limped her home. She threw the misfire code, we replaced the coils and plugs. She ran great! Gave her a fresh oil change that weekend and the next day she started doing the stall out thing again but much more frequently. 4 times in an hour. Threw the same P0340 code but also got the P0011 code (VVT time out). Pulled the VVT sensor but the car is an Illinois car and it was so damn corroded it snapped in half pulling it out. Had to pull the upper timing cover to get the rest of the solenoid out. While the timing cover was off we realized the timing chain tensioner was maxed out. After doing some digging around here, decided, well let’s replace the timing chain. To do this we needed to drop the oil pan and now here we are.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Dam thats a ride. Does it sound like the engine is knocking or making internal noise? Just curious. I imagine pieces of that bearing got chewed off and may or may not be related to the other codes. Thats not good either way tho.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dam thats a ride. Does it sound like the engine is knocking or making internal noise? Just curious. I imagine pieces of that bearing got chewed off and may or may not be related to the other codes. Thats not good either way tho.
No knocking what so ever. That’s what threw us.

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Shouldn't expect much knocking or even hear it since the side to side play or in and out play depending on how you look at it would minimal.

There was probably some rpm dependent noise there.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Engine rebuild time...

Do ALL the timing chain components, as the new chain guides are thicker compared to the ones that originally came in the motor. You may also want to do a cam phaser while you are doing everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts