A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2008 Sentra Spec V QR25DE stock internals, planing on boosting it this year but was wondering what supporting mods other than gauges can i install in car prior to boost with out the need fir a retune, i am already tuned with headers and catback, intake but wanna know what else i can install to prepare for turbo with out the need to retune and save the money for the retune later when build is done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
657 Posts
if you have to save up for a tune, don't boost the car. a stock qr is going to eventually bite it with boost. especially ones that's 14 years old. If you cant afford to replace the engine, don't boost it. And since your already NA tuned, I am going to assume that engines has not had an easy life as it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you have to save up for a tune, don't boost the car. a stock qr is going to eventually bite it with boost. especially ones that's 14 years old. If you cant afford to replace the engine, don't boost it. And since your already NA tuned, I am going to assume that engines has not had an easy life as it is.
I do plan on a full rebuild with the turbo at same time, rn this engine has 120k miles on it i bougjt it when it had 100k last year and its only been tuned since febuary, i know these qrs dont handle like the first gens do, hence my question, bc if i can do the rebuild with forged internals and not have to retune it i will. Since this is my daily any down time waiting on a tune is downtime for me at work. Thats why i want to wait on the retune until i have everything installed and ready to tune for first start

·
Registered
66 Posts
B16 spec V’s have reinforced connecting rods and all the other 2nd gen QR’s have fully balanced crankshafts according to Wikipedia.. The Spec V motors in particular should hold power better vs stock 1st gen QR’s, but I guess that’s besides the point if you’re going to rebuild it anyway.
Also I’m confused, isn’t an engine rebuild going to keep you from working longer than waiting for a retune or installing a turbo would? And if your motor decides to unalive itself, wouldn’t that keep you out of work even longer?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
As long as you're aware of the potential downsides, do your thing. There's no reason you cant run mild boost safely.
People bring up mileage, but a brand new engine can blow up all the same if it's not done properly.
That being said, you can start with simple things that you'll no doubt need eventually. Clutch/flywheel, head studs and a better gasket, perhaps cams even. Fuel pump, return fuel system... All these things can be done ahead of time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As long as you're aware of the potential downsides, do your thing. There's no reason you cant run mild boost safely.
People bring up mileage, but a brand new engine can blow up all the same if it's not done properly.
That being said, you can start with simple things that you'll no doubt need eventually. Clutch/flywheel, head studs and a better gasket, perhaps cams even. Fuel pump, return fuel system... All these things can be done ahead of time.
Good to know this, thanks for the info

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B16 spec V’s have reinforced connecting rods and all the other 2nd gen QR’s have fully balanced crankshafts according to Wikipedia.. The Spec V motors in particular should hold power better vs stock 1st gen QR’s, but I guess that’s besides the point if you’re going to rebuild it anyway.
Also I’m confused, isn’t an engine rebuild going to keep you from working longer than waiting for a retune or installing a turbo would? And if your motor decides to unalive itself, wouldn’t that keep you out of work even longer?
Well the shop im doing everything at will do everything in one go in about a week and if i do rebuild and turbo seperate its about a week each mostly due to their spacing and availability so everything in one go is fine for me, especialy anything i can do on my own

1 - 12 of 12 Posts