A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd ask the internet sentra guru's while I'm exploring my options;

I just recently (last week) bought a 2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8L base trim with manual transmission and only 54000 miles on it as a commuter car to replace my dying 1997 Volkswagen Jetta. Unfortunately however, I've noticed recently that it is making what sounds to me like a transmission related noise when I am travelling at higher speeds.

It sounds like a high pitched whining, almost a whistling noise. The noise happens when I am driving at about 60 mph, is loudest at about 65 mph and gets almost inaudible after 80 mph. It's most obvious when I am stepping on the gas, but can also be heard when I am still in gear and just coasting. When I clutch in however, the noise dissapears. It makes the noise regardless of whether I am in 5th or 4th gear but only going at that same speed (60-65 mph), although it seems to be louder in 5th gear. It isn't terribly loud, but noticible over the road noise.

Any ideas on what this could be? I get the impression from similar posts that this could be an input shaft bearing on the transmission going bad... I am at my wits end here, since I bought this car to replace my Jetta which had a failing transmission!:mad:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
yup. it's the input shaft bearing. had the samething happen to me so i ordered a bearing/syncro kit and rebuilt my trans. it could also be a throw out bearing tho. change that also while your in there

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup. it's the input shaft bearing. had the samething happen to me so i ordered a bearing/syncro kit and rebuilt my trans. it could also be a throw out bearing tho. change that also while your in there
That would be a great plan if I knew what the hell I was doing in there, unfortunately I'm not a mechanic and I don't want to screw anything up. Seems like I'm gonna need to take it in to get fixed by a professional. I wish I could do it myself (I would if I could), but I guess I'm gonna need to bite the bullet and pay for this one; at least it has a limited powertrain warranty... Any idea what this repair might cost at a transmission shop?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I would say about $800. ~$250-$300 for parts and the rest is labor. If the trans was out I would say ~$450. Hopefully it's covered under warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it. It sucks that I have to deal with this BS after going through the trouble of buying another car, but stuff happens. I'll post an update on the source of the noise once I get a proper diagnosis from AAMCO.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i get same noise, but its not as loud as you make it out. only when im in fifth, guess i got some work ahead of me :( thx for the info was wondering what it was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a final update, I took it in to AAMCO for an assesment, and they told me that everything was fine. They said that a small amount of noise is normal, and that if it was a bad bearing that the noise would still be audible in neutral with the clutch out. Lately the noise seems to have gotten a lot quieter, so I'm feeling a bit better about things. Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts