A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I had the engine swapped, was running fine at first and now I have this really loud whining noise coming from what sounds like towards the back of the engine on the top. I've looked all over the hoses to make sure I didn't have a vac leak, moved them around to listen for any sound changes and nothing. Now the car only does this while idling. If I press on the gas it goes away. Let it sit over night and the whining went away until I started moving the car. This was not an issue before the motor swap. Any help is appreciated!

QR25DE. 2006 Sentra SER SPEC V 6 Speed

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would try running it with the serpentine belt off real quick to see if it is coming from one of the pulleys like the alternator or tensioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would try running it with the serpentine belt off real quick to see if it is coming from one of the pulleys like the alternator or tensioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked over the belt, and put my ear up in that area and it seems like its not coming from there. I'll pull it off just to be safe and check them. I didn't do the motor swap myself because I just simply do not have the time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I looked over the belt, and put my ear up in that area and it seems like its not coming from there. I'll pull it off just to be safe and check them. I didn't do the motor swap myself because I just simply do not have the time.
Yeah Could still be worth a shot. The belt is real easy to put on and off so it’d at least be a quick elimination

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked power steering and the levels are fine. I hope its not something to do with the engine that was just installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I jacked the car up to check pull the belt, and I'm not sure if the engine that was installed is a little different, or if its just been that long since I've gotten to look at it since the car sat for a little while.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn’t even have to jack it up. The auto tensioner is a 14 mm bolt, just release tension and pull the belt out through the top

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, you shouldn’t even have to jack it up. The auto tensioner is a 14 mm bolt, just release tension and pull the belt out through the top
Just realized I never posted the fix to this. I actually found it was being caused by a loose bolt on the underside of the intake manifold, which would explain the whining when idling. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just realized I never posted the fix to this. I actually found it was being caused by a loose bolt on the underside of the intake manifold, which would explain the whining when idling. Thanks for the help!
Ive been having this whining sound for awhile now. i thought it was coming from the belt too but i havent had a chance to check. but now that you mention the intake manifold bolt.. i might check it out too. can you tell me which bolt was loose on yours? thanks brother

1 - 11 of 11 Posts