A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,

What is the deal with people stripping the interior of their car? I’m talking about daily drivers. I understand stripping a derby or race car.

What is weight reduction suppose to do?

I understand that it makes a lot of noise but I’m wondering what it does mechanically.

I’ve tried to figure it out but I keep finding conflicting statements.

So for what I understand the benefits are.
Pros
1. It accelerates faster.
2.Makes your car handle better
3.Puts less wear and tear on your car
4.Gives you better gas mileage

Here is where I’m really really confused.
The downsides? Everytime I do research on this topic I can’t find anything but how amazing it is to make your car lighter.

I can barely find any negative things about making your car light but this is what I did find/read online

Cons:
1.You get less grip in general
2.Your car can fish tail if there is barely any weight in the back.
1/3. You ONLY lose grip on snow or rain
4. Your car can tip or flip when going around a turn.

These are the things I found that are bad. I don’t know if they are true?

Ive also read that a lighter car has less grip in snow and rain but more grip in dry weather.
I read that a heavy car is more grippy in general because the weight pushes down on the tires giving the tires more surface area and more grip.
Ive even read it depends on the drivetrain. I read it's better to have the weight in the front of a FWD car, the weight in the rear of a RWD.

I also read about weight distribution
I am absolutely confused on this.
I heard about this 50/50 thing? I don’t know about it. I read something’s where you can just ignore it and some people stand by you never want to mess it up.

I also read that a light car is “more” dangerous to drive at a higher speed because the wind or air can move your car easier?

I’ve many people say
“Race car drivers try to lose weight in their cars”
I’ve also heard the rebuttal
“Race car drivers are professional drivers so they can easily correct when the car gets loose”

I’ve also read some people strip the whole car or just the back seats or just the trunk. I’ve seen some people say they strip everything from the front seats back, so the back seats,trunk, and the floors in the back.

I know removing the spare tire and jack save a lot of weight but is it even worth it on a daily driver??

The 2 biggest knocks against stripping the interior is comfort and looks. I heard people say there will be so many noises and it’ll be very loud and it looks ugly.

From most of the peoples posts I’ve read online from any car forums website that have stripped their car either say they thought it was cool for like a month or so then they really regretted it because it’s too damn loud or they don’t mind the noise but still wish they didn’t done it.

Sorry if this has been nothing but a jumbled mess.

When I ask these questions I’m not talking about noise or comfort.

1.Why do people strip their interior on their daily drivers?
2.Why do people strip their interior on their daily drivers and end up regretting it?
3.What does stripping the interior do performance wise??
4.Does stripping the interior increase gas mileage?
5.Is the car more durable meaning will parts last longer when the interior is stripped?
6. How is grip affected when there is less weight compared to more weight?
7. Are there downfalls to stripping to the interior except noise and looks?

I have no interest in stripping my interior. I am curious why people do it?

Hopefully I get some positive, insightful, and educational answers

Thanks for looking at my post.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Okay so for my sake only...I plan on stripping my interior on my b15...I am stripping bcuz the car is not my daily won’t be driven in rain/snow/cold...it’s being stripped for race car purposes...if it was my daily I would never strip the car at all..people do it bcuz your car has potential to go faster bc it weighs less..(power to weight ratio) and stripping the car is “free HP” as for gas mileage I’m sure it “helps” but can’t see you noticing a diff at all from it..traction will be shitty correct but most people strip cars knowing this (or they about to find out) more so on wet surface..people regret it bc it’s loud as ever everything rattles and shakes can’t carry passengers or if windshield fogs up no defroster no ac when it’s 90 out no heat when it’s 30 no radio 4 music..long story short u won’t hear yourself think..don’t think it increases or decreases wear on the car it’s just gonna bounce more cuz it’s lighter

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
Not really, I've had my trunk gutted for years, no issues in weather of any kind including ice/ sleet on road. If your ass end is squirrely you have other issues before blaming it on weight.

I'll put more input in to this later as I hate typing stuff on my phone that's this in depth cause I make more corrections than input.

Reactions: Richardw72

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I like making my car faster, hence engine crap. But it will still be my daily, atleast until I get into HPDE heavily. then i might strip it like some of my buddies. But it won't be a daily anymore at that point. I like to race look, but honeslty I like a balance of the two. I'll have a 4 point cage, harnesses, but full interior. I will "strip" the trunk, but still have a full size spare, and battery in the trunk, opposite the driver. I'm a big boy and the weight distribution helps IMO.

Main reason I won't gut it, the noise. And I like having a radio for some tunes to bump when hitting the twisties.

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
Seats don't provide much, I specified trunk as it is "further" away from the axle than the seat. I also including the spare. I still have speakers but the deck is showing metal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.traction will be shitty correct but most people strip cars knowing this (or they about to find out) more so on wet surface..
Pretty much everywhere I go it says LESS Weight gives you MORE traction.

im In the camp that says otherwise. I feel like you would have less traction.

I also heard it depends on the weather. Lighter cars handle better than heavier cars in dry weather.
While heavier cars handle better than lighter cars in rain and snow.

If you were to strip you car would you see a decrease in traction?
does the weather matter which one gets more traction?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seats don't provide much, I specified trunk as it is "further" away from the axle than the seat. I also including the spare. I still have speakers but the deck is showing metal.
What did you gut? Did you gut most things from the front seats back?
or just the trunk?

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
1.Why do people strip their interior on their daily drivers?
2.Why do people strip their interior on their daily drivers and end up regretting it?
3.What does stripping the interior do performance wise??
4.Does stripping the interior increase gas mileage?
5.Is the car more durable meaning will parts last longer when the interior is stripped?
6. How is grip affected when there is less weight compared to more weight?
7. Are there downfalls to stripping to the interior except noise and looks?
1&2: Because for noobs it looks cool as a fast and furious car. It is not for a daily driver imo
3: You said it. get quicker faster in all aspects of driving
4: It depends on how much weight total but I would image ~5% increase which is negligible.
5: Highly unlikely
6: See below
7: instant and overall comfort. If you end up having to drive someone somewhere. Always keep a pillow in the car.

I also read about weight distribution
I am absolutely confused on this.
I heard about this 50/50 thing?

This is the all the real reason to gut the interior. It does have a function. You would be surprised how much quicker a car can be, even if only a hundred pounds. For regular street car terms, every 100 lbs lost, your quicker in the quarter by .1seconds. I could feel a difference with just my spare and floor jack. You can tell by the feel of a full tank of gas if you really know your car. This of course has limits and gets exponentially harder to do the more thats reduced. I would imagine a gut of everything except the dash and drivers seat would be a few hundred pounds. Anyone know?

Weight is load that is always exerted on a car. A 50/50 weight distribution is key especially in road racing. Alot of high end cars and race cars are mid engine to achieve a close 50/50 ratio. This also means the car's center of gravity is close to the actual center of the car. It can handle g forces left and right as equally as forward and back.

When you brake, the cars momentum throws all weight forward in a straight line while you turn. Less weight, the easier the car and tires can handle the load, the faster it can make an action.

F1 cars drill tiny dimples in transmission gears strictly for weight reduction. They will dump an ounce if they see it possible. They are extremely light with carbon fiber chassis because weight is such a major with speed at those levels

Reasons to have weight. Street Outlaws Farm Truck. Iirc it makes 800whp and weighs close to 5k pounds. But rwd with tires that can handle its launch, throws all its power back and grips 100% of the power sent.

These are all extreme cases but it has a small scale effect on any scaale, in some kind of way. The concept is the same. And there are all sorts of different conditions and combinations with suspension.

They shoulda averaged 3 runs at each weight.

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
Nice to see Sus Spec toke care of it, less work for me to do with all I've been doing today.

I've gutted my trunk to include sound deadening material and back seat sound deadening as well, and the interior has everything above the shoulders removed. Every thing dealing with A/C has been removed (still need to sell some of that stuff still) and I have no regret. This is also my daily and the only reason I still have back seats is just in case I have both of my STDs with me. I'm about to strip the carpet as I've already cut up part of the back carpet.

Plan is for my car to be a full on street car with no use of a back seat and still use it on the street and or daily when I want to.

I'm trying to find a more relevant arcticle from Moto IQ when the actually used a stock Spec V to see what weight reduction does for time but I'll leave this for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too much to read, but if your fwd car fishtails from losing the trunk pieces and spare tire, you got other issues or need to learn to tell the truth.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Im not saying my car does it. Im just saying what ive read.

1&2: Because for noobs it looks cool as a fast and furious car. It is not for a daily driver imo
4: It depends on how much weight total but I would image ~5% increase which is negligible.
7: instant and overall comfort. If you end up having to drive someone somewhere. Always keep a pillow in the car.

This is the all the real reason to gut the interior. It does have a function. You would be surprised how much quicker a car can be, even if only a hundred pounds. For regular street car terms, every 100 lbs lost, your quicker in the quarter by .1seconds. I could feel a difference with just my spare and floor jack. You can tell by the feel of a full tank of gas if you really know your car. This of course has limits and gets exponentially harder to do the more thats reduced. I would imagine a gut of everything except the dash and drivers seat would be a few hundred pounds. Anyone know?

Weight is load that is always exerted on a car. A 50/50 weight distribution is key especially in road racing. Alot of high end cars and race cars are mid engine to achieve a close 50/50 ratio. This also means the car's center of gravity is close to the actual center of the car. It can handle g forces left and right as equally as forward and back.

When you brake, the cars momentum throws all weight forward in a straight line while you turn. Less weight, the easier the car and tires can handle the load, the faster it can make an action.

F1 cars drill tiny dimples in transmission gears strictly for weight reduction. They will dump an ounce if they see it possible. They are extremely light with carbon fiber chassis because weight is such a major with speed at those levels

Reasons to have weight. Street Outlaws Farm Truck. Iirc it makes 800whp and weighs close to 5k pounds. But rwd with tires that can handle its launch, throws all its power back and grips 100% of the power sent.

These are all extreme cases but it has a small scale effect on any scaale, in some kind of way. The concept is the same. And there are all sorts of different conditions and combinations with suspension.

Thanks man. This is pretty much everything im looking for.

Thanks for being helpful without being rude.

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
@Richardw72 I want to know where you heard con 4 at cause that is some retarded backward think I have ever heard....

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
You can use the icon next to reply to quote multiple post, I merged two of your posts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I watched that video.

How does a stripped trunk effect a FWD car?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Richardw72 I want to know where you heard con 4 at cause that is some retarded backward think I have ever heard....
My dad told me that. Itll be really light in the back but very heavy in the front. The back will have barely any grip because there is barely any weight pushing down on the tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice to see Sus Spec toke care of it, less work for me to do with all I've been doing today.

I've gutted my trunk to include sound deadening material and back seat sound deadening as well, and the interior has everything above the shoulders removed. Every thing dealing with A/C has been removed (still need to sell some of that stuff still) and I have no regret. This is also my daily and the only reason I still have back seats is just in case I have both of my STDs with me. I'm about to strip the carpet as I've already cut up part of the back carpet.

Plan is for my car to be a full on street car with no use of a back seat and still use it on the street and or daily when I want to.

I'm trying to find a more relevant arcticle from Moto IQ when the actually used a stock Spec V to see what weight reduction does for time but I'll leave this for you.
Do you see any difference in terms of grip? Does your car feel any faster?

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
Multi quote isn't working right, I'm just hitting reply on any posts to bring into one post when quoting....weird

My dad told me that. Itll be really light in the back but very heavy in the front. The back will have barely any grip because there is barely any weight pushing down on the tires.
So up to a certain speed that is going to be an issue due to aero dynamics and that depends on the weight of the car over all, but under general rules it is not and if that is an issue something else is wrong. This will also account for turning...and I'm using that loosely cause there could be suspension issues

You can do whats called dog legging if you are pushing really hard but the weight is not going to be a factor. The thing about it is Center of Gravity and why SUVs have a higher chance of tipping over. If your you lower your center of gravity....damn it lost my train of thought.

Do you see any difference in terms of grip? Does your car feel any faster?
It has been so long that I can't tell and I don't remember in all honesty but especially as I was with out the car for 4 years and lots of things was done, the amount of weight that I removed from the trunk probably didn't add up to 20 lbs.... Actually I've been wanting to weight the car but it hasn't been a concern cause of ...lots of things actually. I'll find a vehicle scale and post pics of the weight and what has been removed and list what what I didn't take an image from.

Not to deter you from asking questions and pawning off your inquery but if you look into the articles in Moto IQ there is a huge wealth of knowledge. I've been trying to find articles to help you out from there but I can't seem to find them either I can't search or they are no longer on the site.

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
One thing about grip regardless of weight and specific to the tire(s)...is a mixed bag of what kind of tire is being used, what compound(s) it is made of, heat cycles if it applies, temperature of the road and tires, air pressure, tread pattern, road condition, weather, size and alignment. All of those can effect grip before weight and suspension play a factor,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Multi quote isn't working right, I'm just hitting reply on any posts to bring into one post when quoting....weird

So up to a certain speed that is going to be an issue due to aero dynamics and that depends on the weight of the car over all, but under general rules it is not and if that is an issue something else is wrong. This will also account for turning...and I'm using that loosely cause there could be suspension issues

You can do whats called dog legging if you are pushing really hard but the weight is not going to be a factor. The thing about it is Center of Gravity and why SUVs have a higher chance of tipping over. If your you lower your center of gravity....damn it lost my train of thought.

It has been so long that I can't tell and I don't remember in all honesty but especially as I was with out the car for 4 years and lots of things was done, the amount of weight that I removed from the trunk probably didn't add up to 20 lbs.... Actually I've been wanting to weight the car but it hasn't been a concern cause of ...lots of things actually. I'll find a vehicle scale and post pics of the weight and what has been removed and list what what I didn't take an image from.

Not to deter you from asking questions and pawning off your inquery but if you look into the articles in Moto IQ there is a huge wealth of knowledge. I've been trying to find articles to help you out from there but I can't seem to find them either I can't search or they are no longer on the site.
One thing about grip regardless of weight and specific to the tire(s)...is a mixed bag of what kind of tire is being used, what compound(s) it is made of, heat cycles if it applies, temperature of the road and tires, air pressure, tread pattern, road condition, weather, size and alignment. All of those can effect grip before weight and suspension play a factor,
Thanks my friend. I am learning a lot from all these replies. Gutting the interior sounds a little interesting as long as you don’t mind the noise and want every teency weency bit of performance out of your car.

Tires are very important for grip.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts