A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but couldn't find anything similar to what I'm experiencing.

I bought the 2J 6 piston Wilwood front brake kit. When we tried to put it on the rotor was off center just enough to hit the caliper. I'm (pretty?) sure that we assembled the rotors correctly. The steering knuckle etc are stock B15U 2002. We tried every combination of the spacer and the bolts (spacer to inside of knuckle, outside, etc). I've attached pictures of the resulting slight misfit.

My first thought was to have a machine shop just mill down the caliper adapter bracket but that seems sketchy since my front brakes depend on the bracket not breaking. If I were to do this I'd have the machine shop take a couple mm off the top, a couple mm off the bottom, so there wouldn't be a super thin bit anywhere. My next thought was to simply have new brackets made with an offset, so the caliper moves inward about 4-5 mm (and then I can use spacers if necessary to fine tune position).

First picture is the rotor just skimming the caliper on the inner side of the caliper. Left side of picture is inboard.

Second picture is how we set up the spacers to get to that point (left front). If we put any more spacers the caliper will be even further out. Any other mounting combination ends up with the caliper way too far inboard.

Third picture is a sanity check picture to show rotor, to make sure we assembled the rotor correctly.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I fucking knew it. I JUST fixed this issue. It has to be a manufacturing issue from wilwood. I had to shave another 1.5mm of the bracket to free up the inside pad enough to not grab at all times. 2mm is probly a more accurate estimate.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I dont think so, just washers for bolts. You can only space it in the wrong direction with a washer.

Reactions: carpediemracing

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
If u can mill it, do that. Shave 2mm off the face that meets the knuckle.
Sleeve Wood Tartan Tie Guitar accessory

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll have the adapter milled. I work at a car place (obviously, from the picture) and we use a machine shop. But closer geographically and relationship-wise is my wife has a client that is a machine shop, and she said it'd be something like "can you mill these pieces and can I bring them over with your paperwork?".

We were thinking of milling maybe 1mm per ear, to keep material as thick as possible. Although I would be okay with just "sending it", my friend (who is the tech in the picture) wants to put everything back on, measure with calipers, and get an exact measurement of what we want to do with the adapters.

I'm starting to accumulate parts for this car, something I didn't think I'd do. I now have this stuff, a hood, and seats to put in.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Nice what kind of seats?

Reactions: Tritton
1 - 8 of 8 Posts