A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I can't start it. It just clicks. But not a normal dead battery click. Like a sporadic version of that. The battery is twwo months old, so I doubt that's it. When I cranck it, the dome lights, dash gauges flicker in time with the clicks. Any ideas?
I'm on flat ground so I can't roll start it. It's an 02, could it be the ecu, pcm, ecm, sandal wood or whatever the fuck you call it?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
not always true mine was clicking and not starting a couple months ago and it was the cam sensor, i pulled the code. I cheated :)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
:thinking: starters click when they do not have enough voltage to fully engage and turn. How would a cam sensor effect this?

·
Registered
21,701 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
not always true mine was clicking and not starting a couple months ago and it was the cam sensor, i pulled the code. I cheated :)
:eek:rly: The cam sensor? I think you might have had more than one issue then. I have to agree with Dillon and Sammy along with all my past experiances Click and no start is a bad terminal or in some cars a bad solonoid. If you disconnect your cam sensor you will find that your starter will still crank. Don't want to confuse people here and have them replacing cam sensors everytime the terminal comes loose.

·
6,844 Posts
A dirty starter motor brush can do it to. To test it, tap the solenoid and the body of the starter while starting it. If it starts, the starter is about to go out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
also couldve been bad grounds. thats what my car did when i put it back together..wouldnt start, just clicked, then i cleaned up all the grounds, and then she fired right up.

·
Registered
820 Posts
And on rare occasions it's because they aren't pressing in the clutch pedal. lol
that or you press the clutch but the clutch pedal isn't pressing the safety button.

happened to my roommate. luckily i was there to trouble shoot.. thought it was battery, then the starter, then i saw broken rubber pieces in the driver side floor. found the rubber piece was broke and the button was oging through the hole.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ive had it where the damn direct positive cable to starter is goofed up. I wiggle it and car is fine

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Haha. It was interesting. The last 4 out of 10 starts it would do this odd clicking thing. The other 6 times it was fine.
Keyless would work, dome light turns on. Key in ignition, turn it fuel pump goes on, radio comes on and dash powers up. I turn the key to start and the "dead battery click" would happen really super fast, more than when it's a plain old dead battery. As it's clicking the fuel and temp gauges drop slowly and the dome light, which is LED, would blink in time with the clicking sound.
Turn key off, everything goes back to normal. Turn key on and it would do the freakout thing all over. After a couple times it would start.
So this morning I stop for coffee and the engine is warm. Go to start and it just clicks away. I figure I'll ask someone for a jump thinking maybe the battery is starting to go after all. I get my jumper cables out of the Fuck! bag in the trunk and for some reason I attach the positive to the terminal and attach the ground to the plastic handle on the battery and think I'll just wait for someone to see the cables and offer help. I get in the car, try it and it starts. Take cables off and put them away. Now I'm confused. Then it dawns on me that maybe it was the jumper clamp tightening on the battery terminal that made it work and sure enough that's what it was. The positive terminal was marginally loose. Really odd that it wouldn't start since it was only slightly loose.
Anyway that was my saga. Thanks for reading, I hope it brought you enjoyment!

Sammy, just read you're last post. I got a new GROUND cable when I bought a new battery two months ago. Go figure, it would be the positive!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Lol! That exact same thing happened to me. Except (like others) the ground wire had just broke and would make contact sometimes, and wouldn't other times. Replaced it, works perfect

·
Registered
1 Posts
The positive battery terminal on my car had corrosion on it. I poured water on it and got most of it off.
The car still won’t start though the alarm and internal lights work.
Do you think I need a new battery?

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
Holy 12 year old thread revival..... go test the battery and next time pour a vinegar and baking soda solution on it...

Reactions: LuFu68

·
6,844 Posts
Holy 12 year old thread revival..... go test the battery and next time pour a vinegar and baking soda solution on it...
It would be better to just pour ONLY baking soda solution since vinegar will neutralize the baking soda on its own...on another note....yea holy thread revival

1 - 20 of 21 Posts