A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made an impulse buy from a member here, and as title states, it is a knife-edged crankshaft.

I already have a few parts from my engine build WPC treated, question is, will I have any clearance issues getting the crank treated.

I know there is mention of a parts having clearance issues after being treated, and I don't want that problem with this crank.

Thought?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Best you could do is measure it before it gets treated and make sure your clearances are sufficient. Then get it done, it may change slightly but worst case Ontario you would just need new bearings. Science would tell me the journals would get slightly larger with the WPC treatment but I don't see it being more than .0005" (which is about the thickness of the coating on a coated bearing)

Your best info would come from the company themselves. They'll know how much it will affect the crank. Either way, make sure you get any machining done before you treat it (i.e. balancing)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Shot peening actually strengthens the crank. Wpc is all about creating a better surface for the bearing. Imo if you're NA or mild turbo there's no need to shot peen and in all honesty regular polishing has worked great for years so wpc just seems to be a bit of a gimmick. Again, my opinion

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
lets separate
wpc,
cold treatment and shot peening

as already gone over
wpc is a lubricant

you can cold treat without it

cold treating changes the crystalline structure of the steel
the actual molecular structure is rearranged

greatly strengthening the steel

add micro shoot peening
we essentially get a hardened outer layer around a more ductile core
again greatly strengthening the piece

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very true. Ill talk with S3 and the machine shop, get more thoughts on this

#8kQRalldayeverydayohwaitfuckitstacoed

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
lets separate
wpc,
cold treatment and shot peening

as already gone over
wpc is a lubricant

you can cold treat without it

cold treating changes the crystalline structure of the steel
the actual molecular structure is rearranged

greatly strengthening the steel

add micro shoot peening
we essentially get a hardened outer layer around a more ductile core
again greatly strengthening the piece
My understanding is that WPC is micro-shotpeening, and uses smaller media than traditional shotpeening methods. So other than friction reduction, durability/strength is also increased. At least that is what I've gathered from their website and other articles. It will be interesting to see how my parts survived when the block gets torn down for the next build.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My understanding is that WPC is micro-shotpeening, and uses smaller media than traditional shotpeening methods. So other than friction reduction, durability/strength is also increased. At least that is what I've gathered from their website and other articles. It will be interesting to see how my parts survived when the block gets torn down for the next build.
But they're only doing the surface specified (i.e. a journal)
The theory from what I understand is that by adding microscopic dimples there's less surface area for the bearing to ride on and more surface area for the oil thus reducing friction.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Agreed. And when its dry in the demonstration, air is moving between the veins in the dimples. Im looking forward to doing bearings and rings

1 - 17 of 17 Posts