A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own an 05 spec all stock except for aem short ram. it also has the Nissan certified rebuilt engine which i believe has about 75000 miles on it? who knows. in total, i just rolled over 131000 today, and besides replacing a camshaft sensor, everything is pretty much smooth. but....it still has the oem precat. im kind of at a crossroad because to my knowledge its been fine thus far, (i got the car about 40,000miles ago) but i trip out on stupid sounds and get the precat freak out, also i live in California, but id rather drive illegally than not drive period so i assume you all agree i should get a header. done lots of reading and for my needs, daily driving, ebay ones seem to be the one to get. if so what sellers should i look for, brands, etc. or do i drop the 250 or so on an obx, but i doubt that's worth it. i just don't want to drop 100$, for it to not fit right, bla bla bla.

rock it or chop it?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Any header from what I've been told will work fine if you're just getting rid of the precat. Chinese/eBay junk, a proper performance header, or even busting up and cleaning out the catalyst in the stock header will work if you just want the car to last long.

Your cheapest option would be busting out the catalyst and putting it back on - practically free, and will pass visually in Cali. It sounds like crap, but it's the sacrifice you make for the life of your Spec's engine.

CX Racing has a Megan knock-off header for $120 direct from them that'll do the job for veeery cheap if you just wanna be gone of the precat. Megan, SRS, XS, and even DC Sports carry headers that'll keep your car road-worthy for a while longer. There's a lot more out there, but most of them are just copies of the same Megan design (except DC Sports - their header is a 4-2-1 race-style header, while the rest are 4-1 headers).

Or for a proper performance header, @Ramst is selling NISMO reps that perform just like genuine NISMO headers afaik, and @[email protected] is selling a full 4-1 racing header that has some proven power gains. You could also buy used headers from the guys here (AEBS, HotShot, genuine NISMO, Stillen, and even old FI-R headers are up for grabs on an almost monthly basis; you just have to be willing to negotiate or put down the money).

In my case, I'm waiting for @superspec's response to buying a header re-release from FI-R (under Charles' ownership) for a nice performance header that'll fit without relocating anything, but it's some big bucks for a piece that'll give any QR-powered B15 a nice performance gain in the mid range and a little up top. But Ramst and [email protected]_Racing stock some nice header options that are readily available for purchase right now.

It's either the FI-R rerelease, or Joe's street header come Fall/Winter of this year that I'll end up getting for my mild Spec build - whichever responds/releases first, respectively.

Also, when you say precat freak out, do you mean popping/occasional rattling noises and the SES light flashing for a few seconds, or even the SES light being on right now? If it's throwing a P0420 the engine's most likely started down the path of self destruction 'coz of the precat. A catless header will lengthen the life of the engine a bit longer and slow the damage, but the engine may very well still go the way of other B15 Spec Vs far down the road from this day.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Any header from what I've been told will work fine if you're just getting rid of the precat. Chinese/eBay junk, a proper performance header, or even busting up and cleaning out the catalyst in the stock header will work if you just want the car to last long.

Your cheapest option would be busting out the catalyst and putting it back on - practically free, and will pass visually in Cali. It sounds like crap, but it's the sacrifice you make for the life of your Spec's engine.

CX Racing has a Megan knock-off header for $120 direct from them that'll do the job for veeery cheap if you just wanna be gone of the precat. Megan, SRS, XS, and even DC Sports carry headers that'll keep your car road-worthy for a while longer. There's a lot more out there, but most of them are just copies of the same Megan design (except DC Sports - their header is a 4-2-1 race-style header, while the rest are 4-1 headers).

Or for a proper performance header, @Ramst is selling NISMO reps that perform just like genuine NISMO headers afaik, and @[email protected] is selling a full 4-1 racing header that has some proven power gains. You could also buy used headers from the guys here (AEBS, HotShot, genuine NISMO, Stillen, and even old FI-R headers are up for grabs on an almost monthly basis; you just have to be willing to negotiate or put down the money).

In my case, I'm waiting for @superspec's response to buying a header re-release from FI-R (under Charles' ownership) for a nice performance header that'll fit without relocating anything, but it's some big bucks for a piece that'll give any QR-powered B15 a nice performance gain in the mid range and a little up top. But Ramst and [email protected]_Racing stock some nice header options that are readily available for purchase right now.

It's either the FI-R rerelease, or Joe's street header come Fall/Winter of this year that I'll end up getting for my mild Spec build - whichever responds/releases first, respectively.

Also, when you say precat freak out, do you mean popping/occasional rattling noises and the SES light flashing for a few seconds, or even the SES light being on right now? If it's throwing a P0420 the engine's most likely started down the path of self destruction 'coz of the precat. A catless header will lengthen the life of the engine a bit longer and slow the damage, but the engine may very well still go the way of other B15 Spec Vs far down the road from this day.

VERY VERY VERY well written post! the only thing that isn't really right is that all of the knockoff headers are copies of the first header and that was Hotshot not Megan. Megan copied Hotshot.

Reactions: Ramst

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
Megan didn't copy Hotshot, OBX copied Hotshot (and DC). Now there's a whole clusterfk of knock-offs of knock-offs...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Megan didn't copy Hotshot, OBX copied Hotshot (and DC). Now there's a whole clusterfk of knock-offs of knock-offs...

WHo did megan copy? I never paid them any attention because I bought a HS from the get go.

·
Premium Member
39,133 Posts
Yeh, Megan made their own header and mid-pipe and also named it differently as well.

I guess the name was lost in translation. Their mid pipe is called a down pipe or something like that.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm fine with a knockoffs knockoff, I'm done driving this car hard. I just want it to keep driving. What are the chances my engine is already damaged/ are there any other signs besides oil consumption. My oil had always been perfect

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
the busted catalyst or CX are pretty good choices for your daily driving then. I'd honestly go CX if you don't want the car to sound bad, but busting the catalyst is an almost totally free mod (you're gonna need new gaskets, possibly). or you could find someone to weld a straight pipe in place of the catalyst, then relocate/defoul the second O2.

The likelihood of your engine being damaged may be pretty minimal right now, just be careful with how you drive it if you still have the cat. if you're not topping up on oil every 1k miles, you should be fine. metal shavings should be a concern next oil change though, just run a stick magnet through the oil while it's pouring out or take a look inside the oil filter with a flashlight. if you find shavings, your engine most likely is gonna keep going down the path of destruction, though hopefully years out from now if you get a catless header right now. in my case, I found metal shavings the size of jalapeno seeds when I pulled the oil plug and drained the engine after mine died. it was all over the bottom of the pan and clogged up the old filter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Ohio and have to pass echeck. My header has been replaced and I passed emissions by putting in an O2 simulator from magnumtuning.com. Worked great.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
off topic a bit

i had a DC header
it was very well made
stood up to abuse
no leaks or breaks, nor cracks in the welding
perfect fitment [with alternator mount extension]

i had a cat fitted in the mid/down pipe
[technically only turbos have down pipes]

terrible design for high rpm power
but thick, well made, good fitment and long lasting

here is the system for sale by Joe
http://www.2j-racing.com/garage-sale/replica-dc-sports-header-with-high-flow-cat.html

on my engine

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Well I'm fine with a knockoffs knockoff, I'm done driving this car hard. I just want it to keep driving. What are the chances my engine is already damaged/ are there any other signs besides oil consumption. My oil had always been perfect
Hey I'm sorta close to you and I have a Nismo header for sale locally, for a great price. I think most people agree that it's not worth it to buy a cheap header, especially in the long run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts