A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Condensed version.

Cooling system got hot due to fans not working, over time gasket leaked and didn't know it, pull head and pistons 2 & 3 are clean. Machine shop said head was good and milled minimum amount of material, put back together with cometic 0.030 gasket and lost coolant. Pressure tested the cooling system with air coming out at cylinder three, put an oem gasket in there and air coming out of cylinder 2 & 3.

Don't have the time to get the block decked as I may be moving with little time if none to do the work and a band-aid for now would be a 0.040 gasket.

I find it strange that the head was/is "fine" but not the block yet there is no obvious signs that the sleeve(s) shifting. This couldn't have happened at a worse time. :banghead: :arg:

Going to test one more thing and see what happens, combine both the cometic and oem.

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still leaked, stripping the motor as much as I can before pulling the block from the engine bay. May drop the engine and tranny/shafts together so I don't have to drain the tranny.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
I have a spare oem head or 2. 100% stock never been touched

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll keep that in mind but it's looking like the block's deck.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Damn...when it rains, it pours...

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock parts? Pistons, rods, head?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
No, supposedly long rod conversion with high comp positions and rz cams
Damn...when it rains, it pours...
I was supposed to get the car tuned on the 15th and had to cancel away the last minute.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If the sleeves were left with a 0.00X" lip on the sleeves the I would assume you have room to safely spare (assuming you have darton sleeves). But dont see any way around the milling to achieve the flatness unless the gasket is failing because the sleeves continuing to shift when running. Thats scary and seems more likely to happen than warping that hardened metal. Try a fatass gasket to get to where you need to be. I know its probly a certified bitch doing this work multiple times..

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dropping the block of to have the deck checked, if bad news I might just sleeve it or get another block from the salvage yard If the time allows.

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a crank in cylinders 2 & 3 that I couldn't see, I have no idea what I want to do right now. Sleeving makes sense due to time constraints but not the money side and getting a used block only works out on the cost side but not time...though Darton is less than 30 minutes away from me...

I was hoping to get a JAO block and run as is or sleeve it, worse case just transfer the sleeves I guess

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sleeve it bro. You are closing the deck in the process (mid sleeves) and fixing a ton of issues with the QR design. Longevity wise, it makes the most sense, boost or NA

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Already decided to, was just waiting on Darton to reply with cost and if drop off was ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts